More rabbits

Started by davidlt89, March 28, 2009, 04:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Headed out with a good friend of mine today for some rabbits. The season ends on the 31st so we thought we had ought to at least get one trip together. we were hoping the snow had melted enough to make it easy walking, but that did not really happen. I was walking on top when we left the truck, but my buddy is about 310lbs and he was not faring so well so we off loaded the sled and headed to the spot. right as I was getting to the spot I spied one rabbit making a run for it so went in after it. was not long and I had the first one in the bag. when we hunt together, we walk about 20 yards apart and each take turns moving forward. As I was waiting for my buddy to make his run, I took some pictures of the terrain we hunt in.

there are rabbits all through these trees, walking through them can be pretty hard sometimes.
was not long after the first rabbit, I spied another and went after him. After seeing him about 40 yards away and still running, I decided to go back to where I was and continue the way we were going. on the way up, I popped up another rabbit. Took me a bit but I finally got him stop. This picture is after the shot where it laid.

I managed to pick up two more that were together about 5 minutes after that one and I had my limit packed in my vest. We continued hunting since my buddy had not shot one yet.
Here is a picture of my buddy. You can see by his pants how far he was sinking in the snow.

we continued up another strip of trees and my buddy kept seeing bits and pieces of a rabbit but could never get a shot. I was off to his left and trying to drive it towards him. After about 30 yards I took a rest and let him move up. While I was sitting in the snow, the rabbit came out of nowhere and purched on hill about 10ft away from me. I tried to get my camera out but he was just not going to wait around. He ran, then stopped, ran again, stopped again, then went out of sight. He no longer got out of sight and two rabbits came running up a clearing and out of sight. I told my buddy to get over where I was ASAP. while he was coming my way he finally picked up a rabbit. We tired to go where the other two had went but my buddy was sinking up to his waist and just gave up. we decided to head back and he picked up one final rabbit.
here is a picture of my quarry for the day, shot these all in about 25 minutes.

It was a great day to be hunting, hit about 53 degrees today and the rabbits where everywhere. we ended up seeing nine and getting shots at 6 of them. Can't complain about that. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

22hornet

White bunnies! Now I've never seen that before.
Good hunting, even if it was in snow ;) .

Its those sort of conditions that I would like to hunt in overseas but would never do it here! :D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Looks like the rabbit country (and rabbits) around here.

Good hunting!

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Nice meal you've got there.  Looks like you had fun.  How deep was the snow? And had someting been eating the bark off of those trees?  Or just rubbing?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

QuoteHow deep was the snow?
The snow was over 3ft deep in some parts. not bad in the tree farms. it seemed right when it got good walking, you would sink up to your waist. Man needs to take a lot of rests!!!
QuoteAnd had something been eating the bark off of those trees? Or just rubbing?
main culprit for the missing bark is porcupines. they wreak havoc in the fall and summer. I am sure there are some other animals responsible also. I am still not sure what draws the rabbits there other than cover. I think they take the bark of off the alder bushes, but not sure. in the summer and fall there is not a rabbit to be found in there. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

.........................Poor lil' white bunnies.:cry: ..................................:D ...............
Looks like fun, davidt...............wish i'd been in on that..........................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

QuoteWhite bunnies! Now I've never seen that before.
they will be brown again by the end of next month and a lot harder to find!!

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: "sweet" how'ed ya fix'em.......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Quotehow'ed ya fix'em.......
I haven't fixed'em yet Ron, they are in the fridge aging a little. My wife has to work this weeked so I will be preparing them for me and the boys. It ought to be interesting! God Bless.[/SIZE]

Tags: