Couple o' varmints...

Started by Daryl (deceased), November 20, 2009, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

Here's a couple of critters I got yesterday and today.

I really like the color on the coyote. It doesn't show well in the picture, but it's white underneath with a sort of silver tip on the back. Most around here are more redish colored.

This grey fox was sorta growly, but I won this time.

A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Coool!

They look pretty well furred out. You skinning coyotes this year?

Texas has a quarantine on coyotes being sold I believe, so none can be sold there. Here they only offered $5 for them last year, if you could find a buyer. ;)

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Barry,

I'll skin the ones worth skinning. I shot a couple in October that looked like they had a bit of mange, so I left them where they fell.

The fur market being what it is now, I don't think there's a fur worth selling that way. The only one that'd make any money at all would be the ones beyond the hunter in the market.

So I'll send the better ones off for tanning, and see what happens. People seem willing to buy them that way for wall hangings or projects, and I'm thinking I can make a bit more that way than the $5 offered by the fur buyers, even if it takes a bit longer.

I have a hard time leaving a nice fur laying on the ground for the buzzards, but I also have a hard time skinning something for $5, so I look for better ways to utilize 'em.

;)

Why's Texas have a ban on selling coyote hides?  Worried about spreading disease or something?

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Perhaps by making the coyotes a non-sale item, they discouraging any human contracting of rabies by the skinning of them....?

As you know, the rabies treatment isn't too full of fun. :)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

gitano

That's a great looking fox!

In my opinion, Grey foxes (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) make great life-size mounts. Of course, taxidermy has gotten ridiculously priced.

I assume the .17 Rem did them in?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteI assume the .17 Rem did them in?

Err...well, I actually shot the fox between the eyes with a Colt Woodman. The .17 Rem is hard on grey fox fur, and I'd hate to ruin one.

The coyote was with a .22 mag, but it seems to work ok at closer ranges.

I may get that fox tanned for myself. ;)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

Good job Daryl. I've only seen 2 coyotes so far this year and that was while elk hunting. They took off right quick as they had some strange idea that I might start popping off at them with my 338.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Daryl (deceased)

Bug,

I've only seen three coyotes myself this fall. I shot all three of them.

There's no shortagge of them though; I've just been calling areas that typically have fox or bobcats rather then coyotes.  'Bout the time I figure on a fox though, a coyote shows up.

It's all good though.

:)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

gitano

QuoteI've only seen three coyotes myself this fall. I shot all three of them.
Reminds me of a story...

A buddy of mine and I were on a remote coastal brown bear hunt in the Gulf of Alaska. We had chartered a boat ride to where we were going to hunt with a native from one of the small coastal viliages in the Gulf. On our way there, we passed some steep cliffs at the water's edge. I remarked that it looked like "goat country". The boat owner responded, "My cousin and I climbed on 7 goats on those cliffs last week." Before thinking, I responded, "Did you get one?" He looked at me like I was from another planet, and said, "We shot them all." As soon as he said it, I realized the silliness of my question.

Paul

PS - The goats to which I referred were the Alaskan native Rocky Mountain goats (Oreamnos americanus) NOT the feral goats (Capra capra) known throughout the rest of the world, and considered vermin by most.
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good going Daryl. The grey fox is really pretty. I think they're much prettier than reds. Greys are scace around here but reds are plentiful. Down in the mountains, it's just the opposite. Rather odd when you think about it. .......Thanks for sharing.  ........Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;101098Good going Daryl. The grey fox is really pretty. I think they're much prettier than reds. Greys are scace around here but reds are plentiful. Down in the mountains, it's just the opposite. Rather odd when you think about it. .......Thanks for sharing. ........Paul H

Paul,

We don't have many reds here.  The only one I've ever seen in Arizona was last month.  I called it in while deer hunting, about 4 hours north of here.

But we have greys like you wouldn't believe this year.  I have a buddy who called in 17 while bear hunting this year, and lots of them being shot by hunters from what I've seen.

My wife and I saw two of them in a buddy's front yard about a week ago.

Seems like the lil' varmints are taking over!

:)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

Daryl, when I was a kid down in the mountains back in the late 40's & early 50's, there was a fox epidemic. Just greys mostly. There was a rabies epidemic too. I saw as many as seven foxes in a five acre  field at one time catching grasshoppers & such. This was in summer & I killed a slew of them. Fur was useless and I just threw them out of the hayfield. Before the fox & rabies epidemic, we had an epidemic of colera among hogs during WW2. Killed them & burned them. Dad had a permit to vaccinate hogs & people for miles around donated money for the serium. Things were really bad for us back then.    .......Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteThings were really bad for us back then. .......Paul H
[/B]

Sounds like it!  Did you have to walk 5 miles though the snow to and from school too?  Uphill both ways? *grin*

Seriously, I know life was tougher back then, but I think it made people tougher, too.  Most oare pretty soft these days in comparison.

There's been a few problems with rabies here the last few years.  Hopefully it won't get to crazy.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Daniel in Ak

Dang makes me miss back home looking at them critters. Nice going as always bud. I just turned down an invite to head south to the Alaska Range for a varmint hunt, and then i saw a Red Fox tonight well he was more of a Cross but cool anyhow.

Tags: