Doing a bit of "scouting"

Started by recoil junky, August 07, 2010, 05:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

The easy way . . . . . .

From the deck. :biggthumpup:

I've been spotting three 2 points every evening from the deck. One looks to be at least  16-18 inches high and a good 4 inches wider than his ears. The meander out of the creek bottom across the road and head south onto the neighbors alfalfa patch. I don't know what his alfalfa patch has that mine doesn't. :huh2:

I know this is an old picture but I can't help but wonder if they might be related???

I took these about 5 years ago. Just about enough time for him to get big enough to be big enough to take care of business.

I'll keep an eye on them for sure to see if'n they stay around. I may have to "spill some grain"  on occasion. :food04:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Nice-lookin' bucks!

Probably papa of that rascal that spent the winter in your barn.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

The boys are looking pretty good there  RJ.   On another front..........  no leftover doe tags for your area this year, so I won`t be making the trip this year.   I did score an elk tag nearby so that`s the focus.  Thanks for your offer, you`re a stud!  

JaDub

recoil junky

He very well could be. I haven't seen Mooch for quite a while now. As a matter of fact the three bucks are the only deer I've seen in the last week of so. That's not to say that there are not more out there.

I plan on taking a drive this evening to see what I can see. Pictures of what I see will be posted later.

As for me being a "stud", I'm only 6'3", studs are 7'9". I have a 38" girth and studs have a 10" girth. Unless they are 2X6's, then they have a 14" girth. Planed dimensional lumber of course and I'm rough cut.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

RJ, did that shrimp that spent the winter in your barn taste good? I bet these two would taste just fine. Mashed taters & venison steak. Just don't get much better. ....Paul H

recoil junky

Paul, the "Mooch" will taste good I'm sure!! I've just got to find him again!

I've got a marinade recipe for backstrap that I really want to try out on venison . . . . . . . . . . . .again. It's been about 10 years since there's been deer backstrap in the freezer. I hope I can fix that this year.

RJ

recoil junky

Finally downloaded the pictures I took last week.

Saw a few does (Hunterbug, hint hint)

Some sagehens

And this little 3X3

I haven't seen any bucks by the house lately, but I was over across the road watering the horses and I "seen sign" where a buck has been napping in the shed over there. I "spilled" some grain when I took a bait to the horses so I'll keep an eye out.

RJ

Paul Hoskins

RJ, the does would be just fine. .....Paul H

JaDub

Had a nice big fat 8point muley ( coulda been 10  ) at 218 yards in the scope yesterday...........    however............   I had a doe tag.     Doh!  

No venison in the freezer this year.  8-(

Tags: