I've booked tickets to....

Started by gitano, September 23, 2010, 09:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Quoteat the very least we should get together for a beer, or a cup of tea!, it's a way off yet, so we'll work it out.
You betcha!

As for the hotel, we've got that covered for the moment, thanks.

If your and Jorge are a stone's throw apart, maybe we can arrange a to all be at the same place at the same time. Lamington National Park sounds great.

Quoteit's a way off yet, so we'll work it out.
Sounds like a plan...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Paul,

a few more thoughts for your trip. I have about half a dozen different pieces of redgum timber stashed away for you and Sakorick, as well as some blackwood. We might be able to facilitate a handover somewhere.

The other thing is that there is a gunsmith in NSW who regularly advertises unaltered BSA martini cadet actions for sale - from memory for around $AUS135. I am not sure what regulatory hoops you would have to jump through to carry them back to Alaska. The gunsmith also advertises martini cadet rimless extractors as well.

Food for thought,

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: gitano;108149You betcha!

As for the hotel, we've got that covered for the moment, thanks.

If your and Jorge are a stone's throw apart, maybe we can arrange a to all be at the same place at the same time. Lamington National Park sounds great.

Sounds like a plan...

Paul

Hey that would be great to catch up. By the way Paul my mate hunts red deer every weekend, he's a meat hunter and uses the meat for his mission work with the muslim indonesian people that he reaches out to through our church. So for him organising a hunt is like going to the range, easy. I sometimes just go for the morning and I'm back home at around 1:00pm. So if you can spare a day and make it up to the Sunshine Coast it would not be a big deal to organise a hunt. I'll leave it up to you, gear and rifle would be covered by me.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

QuoteI have about half a dozen different pieces of redgum timber stashed away for you and Sakorick, as well as some blackwood. We might be able to facilitate a handover somewhere.
I think the probability of that is quickly approaching 100%. :)

QuoteThe other thing is that there is a gunsmith in NSW who regularly advertises unaltered BSA martini cadet actions for sale - from memory for around $AUS135. I am not sure what regulatory hoops you would have to jump through to carry them back to Alaska. The gunsmith also advertises martini cadet rimless extractors as well.

Food for thought
The "food" has been eaten, and "I'm IN"! The only regulations I'll have to worry about  are Australian ones. I can carry as many firearms as I care to in my checked baggage in the US. I will only have to declare the purchases for "customs".

QuoteHey that would be great to catch up. By the way Paul my mate hunts red deer every weekend, he's a meat hunter and uses the meat for his mission work with the muslim indonesian people that he reaches out to through our church. So for him organising a hunt is like going to the range, easy. I sometimes just go for the morning and I'm back home at around 1:00pm. So if you can spare a day and make it up to the Sunshine Coast it would not be a big deal to organise a hunt. I'll leave it up to you, gear and rifle would be covered by me.
The 'discussions' about getting to the Sunshine Coast are commencing with my wife!

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Hmmm.... Aussie redgum stock, aussie Cadet action, maybe chamber to an aussie cartridge? .222 rimmed or .243 Myra?
I'm an ideas man!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

Ok, Paul, only just logged on after AGES away.
Would you like to hunt some goats?
I'm directly between Melbourne and Brisbane on the Hume Highway and I'll take some time off work so we can head bush for a day or 2 and chase them in the hills.
Afterall, what's long service leave for, right?
We can finalise details but I reckon I can organise that with my colleague.
Meanwhile there'll be some comfy beds for you guys to sleep in at my house and we can show you hospitality the way we do it.
Maybe 22hornet can take off some time and hunt with us.
And I'll do you one better on the Cadet action.
I have one and we can do a deal......MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper than $135.
In fact a few more MUCHs. ;)
It needs a new firing pin (I think) and some silly PO drilled a hole through the frame but I'm sure you'd be able to sort that.
Oh, and a dealer friend of mine in Sydney can probably sort the export issues of the action.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

QuoteWould you like to hunt some goats?
Is the Pope catholic?

But...

QuoteI'm directly between Melbourne and Brisbane on the Hume Highway and I'll take some time off work so we can head bush for a day or 2 and chase them in the hills.
The location is perfect, but the time probably isn't. I might be able to drop my wife off at Hotham Mountain ski resort for a "day or two", but the truth of the matter is that the scheduling on this trip is pretty tight and such a sojourn is unlikely.

QuoteMaybe 22hornet can take off some time and hunt with us.
And I'll do you one better on the Cadet action.
I have one and we can do a deal......MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper than $135.
In fact a few more MUCHs.
It needs a new firing pin (I think) and some silly PO drilled a hole through the frame but I'm sure you'd be able to sort that.
Oh, and a dealer friend of mine in Sydney can probably sort the export issues of the action.
All of which sounds great! Good thing we have almost a year to sort through it.

Thanks!
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Tell you what....we may be able to knock down the time away to a night and a day.
We go out to the property in the afternoon, sleep the night, get up real early and chase goats as much as we can during the day and leave at last light.
It's worked for me before.
Would that be better?
And your missus could knock around Canberra and do the touristy things there as I'm only an hour up the road.
Either that or my wife can show her around.
We'll have 2 at school and another at preschool by then so that'll leave only 2 at home and one will be a baby.
Oh, I forgot to mention......my wife is pregnant with No5.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: 22hornet;108304Hmmm.... Aussie redgum stock, aussie Cadet action, maybe chamber to an aussie cartridge? .222 rimmed or .243 Myra?
I'm an ideas man!

22hornet, WOW!:COOLdude: I like the way you think...Cadet action, barrel chambered for the .222 Rimmed.....Super..!

Branxhunter....what is aussie "redgum" can you post pictures..also "blackwood"???? Pardon my ignorance. I have hopes of finishing up a custom Mauser using a nice piece of "screwbean" mesquite wood, half-round/half octogon barrel, chambered for the 6.5x55 Swede Ackley Improved...probably be my last custom rifle for myself before I travel to the "happy hunting ground". The woods you mention might be, one or the other, just right for a fore-end tip and grip-cap. Maybe we can work out a deal........:2thumbsup:

Ol' John...:Banghead::sleeping:

PS...my apologies, Paul...for hijacking your thread...couldn't help myself..woods just affect me like "drugs" to an addict!
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

22hornet

Quote from: kombi1976;108365Maybe 22hornet can take off some time and hunt with us.

I'm in! :D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

First, no apologies necessary, John. I'm a little 'kinky' about rifle wood too.

Second, "gum" is a general term for Eucalyptus sp. Red gum is... wait for it... Red eucalyptus!

All the eucalyptus I have seen I have liked. On a side note, southern California is rife with eucalyptus trees of all varieties. All of them imported from Australia. When the country was all 'twitterpated' with railroads, California entrepreneur figured he could make a fortune selling railroad ties made of eucalyptus because they grow straight, fast, and tall. Trouble was, when they grow in California, they grow in a spiral, and the wood was useless for RR ties.

I'll bring back or send back what I can when I'm there. However, you know how "visiting" goes. Usually you don't have time to spit, let alone 'work things out'. But, maybe between a few of us we can figure something out.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

Paul, you're going to need a holiday when you get home, the way it's shaping up you'll be busier than a one armed bricklayer in Bagdad!.

branxhunter

Redgum is the everday name for River Redgum Eucalyptus camaldulensis, a large hardwood species that can have beautifully grained red timber often used for furniture. It tends to grow as scattered woodland forests and along waterways in the drier inland areas of Australia. The link below has some images of both the tree and the timber:

http://www.google.com.au/images?rlz=1T4IRFC_enAU382AU382&q=river+redgum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Gnm3TIy2PJGWcee2jOwG&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDoQsAQwAg&biw=973&bih=498

River Redgums can often have burls - large protrudent growths on the trunk that is due to an inse3t. The timber in the burl has amazing grain, and is highly prized for woodworkers and furniture makers. Here are links to photos (if you like wood sit down before you look at the second one):

http://www.xsstock.com.au/easyweb3/ep_code-e002prdMoreInfo-prd_id-252229

http://www.turningwoodintoart.com/index.php?snap_gallery/showGallery::show_gallery&gallery_id=4

Readers of the forum may remember a post of mine - I think it may have been on the Voere .22 - where the rifle was sitting on a redgum-topped bench in our kitchen.

Blackwood refers to another Australia hardwood, this time from the Acacia family. The timber has more brown or honeyd hues with darker grain streaks:

http://www.google.com.au/images?rlz=1T4IRFC_enAU382AU382&q=blackwood+timber&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=rXy3TIeZLZGxcfCzhdEG&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQsAQwAQ&biw=973&bih=498

http://www.blackwoodfurniture.com.au/blackwood.htm

Redgum and blackwood are both very common around the region where I live. Indeed, most older farm fences use redgum posts, and most indoor fires burn redgum firewood. LLanojohn, I am sure we can find some pieces for you. I have some old redgum house stumps set aside, and my brother in law has quite a bit of blackwood he has milled from trees on their property.

Marcus

branxhunter

Then there is always the Australian stockmakers and suppliers of stock timber that might be of interest to Paul while he is over here.

Two links for Roger Vardy:

http://www.rogervardystockwood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=7&Itemid=52

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2642902/page/1/fpart/2

A link with references to work done by Geoff Slee:

http://people.enternet.com.au/~fergus/projects.html

and the website for Kopje custom rifles:

http://www.kopjerifles.com/

There are some interesting projects on these links. If only I had more disposable income........

Marcus

branxhunter

So Paul, you still planning on making your way over???

Marcus

Tags: