Finally, venison in the freezer

Started by knuckledragger, October 23, 2011, 03:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

Well, this season has been a slow one so far, with few deer seen and none bagged until yesterday.  Both my daughter and I got one.  Daughter #2 came home from college and wanted to go hunting Sat AM.  I put her in an as-of-yet unhunted ground blind overlooking a 6 month old cut through some young pines.  I went down the road and just tucked in near where another cut intersected the road.   My doe came out about 10 AM and stood broad side at about 45m.  I shot her and she folded up about 30m away.  She was my first deer with cast bullets.  The damage inside  the rib cage was huge.  Im sold.

My daughter heard the shot and texted me that she wanted to come help drag & gut.  So I walked back to the truck to go get her and was just getting there when I heard a shot from her location.  All I got on the next text was "I shot him and he ran."  "He" meant she had shot her first buck!!!!!   Me and the property owner got there the same time (he was on the same road but on the other side of her) and we started looking.  There was no blood or hair so we were a bit nervous.  While we looked in close, I told her to do a 25m loop to try & pick up blood.  She found one drop and then her buck.  It was a nice little spike.  She hit him "a bit" far back, thus the sparse blood trail.  She shot him at about 80m with a 243 w/100 gr Hornady soft point rnd nose.  That's her 2d deer.  She and I BBQ'd the hearts last night, they were nice and tender and very delicious.

She had it posted on Facebook before we were even out of the woods, amazing (how do they do that!?!).  Will post the pic of her once she sends it to me (even though it was taken with my camera).    I have my annual MI hunt in a few weeks, cant wait.  

Enjoy your Sunday, KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

knuckledragger

Attached is the photo of her.  :jumpingsmiley:While this may be a no brainer to many of you, it was a major technological break through for me to find out you can take pics directly out of Facebook.  :Banghead:

gitano

Outstanding! Congratulations to both of you!

Bar-B-Q'd deer heart. Mmm, mmm.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteShe and I BBQ'd the hearts last night
Nothing like the heart!!!!!! congrats to the little lady!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Nice going on the hunt and please pass along my congratulations to the young lady.

We have never been ones for offal here. I usually give the deer livers away
Go Get them Floyd!

bowhunter 51

Well I'm glad somebody is filling a freezer, knuckle'd.......I sure haven't...tho
no gun seasons have opened here as of yet..(archery only)..:(....

Excellent you've had a memorable day....Congratulations to you both...BH51...

**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

knuckledragger

Thx all.  I will be taking the spike antlers and mounting them for her for a XMas present.  She can put them in her dorm room.  So far her friends seem to think its pretty cool.  They are all asking her to bring back some venison, very few have tried it.   Her older sister, who has missed deer 2x, its really itching to close the gap, and wants to go out when she gets back from school.  Now my youngest is saying she'll give it a whirl.. She can shoot very well but has had no interest in hunting.  That seems to be changing.  How did I get so lucky: 3 daughters and all can shoot and want to hunt?!?!

BH- The heart is just another muscle group.  No liver lovers in this house, although I have had a previous property owner say he would take it if still in tact.  I think I will try the tongue, but only when the wife isnt around, I just aint that brave.  

KD

recoil junky

That is just awesome KD. All girls and they all shoot and it sounds like soon they will ALL be joining you on the hunt. It don't get no better!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

QuoteI think I will try the tongue,
you won't regret it!!!
QuoteI usually give the deer livers away
I think that is a felony here:greentongue: Liver is sooooo good! we have warnings "not" to eat the deer livers here due to high levels of something! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I think I have mentioned my taste for tongue. Deer tongues are pretty small, but they taste good just the same. If I may be so bold, I'd recommend the following procedure:

1) Wash/scrub very well,
2) Pressure cook at 15 lb for 15 to 20 minutes,
3) Once pressure cooked the skin will peel off without any problem if you do it while it is still hot/warm,
4) Let cool at least to room temperature (I like it cooled in the ice-box), then slice thin and put on a sandwich with not too much other stuff so you can savor the taste of the tongue.

My mouth is watering.

Great stuff. I have two daughters, and both like to hunt.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

hmmmm fresh ground salt n mustard (not the yellow ---- you Americans use)
English mustard!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

JaDub

Deer heart..........   yummmmm

Lightly brown in skillett with butter,  pop in pressure cooker,  slice thinly, build sandwich !!  EAT !  Drown in saliva.......... 8-)

JaDub

gitano

I make a "stuffing" exactly like that for a Thanksgiving turkey and stuff the heart chambers with it. Then pressure cook for 20 minutes at 15 lb. Eat the stuffing with gravy made from the 'drippings' of the pressure cooking. Sometimes I eat the heart right away, but more often than not I cool it, slice it into strips and eat in sandwiches.

Mouth watering again...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I saw the picture, very nice! Congrats to you and the daughter.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: