Not the big one, but it'l do.

Started by Fieldmor77, November 07, 2011, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldmor77

G,day Fella's, a while back some of you may remember a thread i posted about a monster pig i had a brush with, and how i blew a great chance at bagging him.
Well i returned to the scene for a three day trip to see if i could make amends.

Arriving at old Mates around lunch time after the five hour drive,i spent the first afternoon scouting for sign, what i found was a huge wallow in the creek, some tracks, and some diggings no more than twenty four hours old on the creek flats.
I was pretty excited, but the size of the tracks had me doubting it was the"big one" from my older visit.

So it was sealed, up before dawn and stalk the creek flats, as we headed back a wild dog jumped up from the creek and bolted up the hill, Old Bill pulled up the Landcruiser and i jumped out with the 243.
Taking a rest on the open door frame i gave a short whistle and the dog stopped dead.

I only had a second,so it was a quick shot {turned out to be 200m},which sent the dog rolling into a ball!, he then jumped up and staggered a few feet and then, to my shock, bolted into the thick Lantana before i could finish him off, after an hour of fruitless searching i called it off  with much regret.

So it was up before dawn and off in the truck to the hill just above the creek flats, to my great delight, there around 500m away was a black shape rooting through the soil, a quick look through the Binoculars confirmed it was a Boar, but not the big one. After a stalk using the surrounding weeds as cover, i managed to get within an easy 50m of him.

Ever so gently i clicked off the safety of my humble Stevens 200, steady, cross hairs behind the left leg, Boom, down he went in a flurry of kicking, so there you go, not the old bloke i was after but he certainly will do.

[ATTACH]12912[/ATTACH]

And a shot of the creek flats before the stalk.

[ATTACH]12913[/ATTACH]

recoil junky

Too bad about the dog, but good job on the hog!! He looks well fed!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Cool! Dandy shot too! Nice country and a nice piggy. Do you eat them?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

People do eat them Paul, but mainly when the're  from cropping areas where the diet is exclusively grain and corn etc. this spot is all grazing country, he will be used to make baits for use against the wild dog population which is a big problem there.

RatherBHuntin

Anyone have any ideas why I cant see the pictures?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

I thought that the problem might be that your server prevents you from seeing images that are 'hosted' at a site other than the one you are logged into. In other words, the above pictures are not located at the THL server but at some other site like Photobucket. However, when I look at the URLs of the images, they are indeed at the THL site. Therefore, the only thing I can think of is that your computer's firewall doesn't like them for some reason.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

hmmm, I can right click the pic and copy the url from the properties, and then paste into browser to see it, but it still wont show in the thread.  Only seems to happen with certain Australian pics...

Beautiful spot you were hunting, and nice hog.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Fieldmor77

I have the same problem when viewing Branxhunters pic's, i just click on the pic then sign in, seems to work.
Yes it's not a bad spot, i should post some more pic's of the property.

Jorge in Oz

Nice schwein Peter. My mate Paul I hunt deer with be licking his chops.

Good one mate.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

Great looking pig. And the best part is the big fella is still out there somewhere. Good enough reason to return.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Fieldmor77

You're right Hornet, the big fella is still at large, and was last seen at a spot to the east of the property, in a wild area that covers around 20,000 acres.
The chances of us crossing paths again may be remote, but the thing that keeps the pigs coming back to the area is the large patches of nut grass bulbs which they go crazy over.

Tags: