Please help me identify this Parker Hale

Started by Chigley, April 22, 2012, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chigley

Hi, I bought this rifle about a year ago.   All I was told is that it is a 7.62mm Parker Hale Deluxe and that the bolt is non-standard. I'm really pleased with the way it shoots, but I can't find anything about it.
It looks like a Parker Hale, but it doesn't say so anywhere that I can find.
The bolt, when closed, lies almost flush, instead of sticking out.
It has a three-round internal magazine.  What I'm really curious about is the spring-loaded pin just in front of the trigger guard.  From reading about other Parker Hales, I expected this to open the floor plate, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
I'd be grateful for any information anyone can give me about this rifle.

branxhunter

G'day Chigley, welcome to the forum.

That rifle certainly had the Parker Hale "look". From memory Parker Hale was stamped on the barrel, so if the rifle has been rebarrelled this may now not be evident (Brithunter could confirm if I am on the wrong track here).

Does the rifle have a single stage trigger? If so, and it is the adjustable type, the alloy trigger housing often has Parker Hale imprinted on it.

Of course the rifle could also be a commercial mauser built up to look like a Parker Hale, or indeed using a PH stock.

My early PH (Brithunter dted it from around the mid-sixties) had a similar floor plate and catch as shown in your photo. I could never work out how to open it.

As too the bolt, who knows? Perhaps a custom job?

Marcus

sakorick

Looks like a standard Parker Hale super to me with a flattened bold handle. Looks like a new recoil pad installed.......7.62 what????? How about import marks, caliber and close up of Proof mark? We need more good pictures and a description of every mark on the rifle. The only thing I can tell you is that it is a Parker Hale bolt action Mauser. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Chigley

Hi. Thanks both.
Er, the calibre is 7.62mm/ .308.  But 7.62mm is stamped on the  receiver.   I don't know if you'r familiar with British gun laws, but  this causes me a minor problem.  When you are granted a firearms  licence, you have to state the firearms you think you will want, and the  ammunition.  So, I put down .22,  .308 and some others.   I said to the  gun dealer "I'm looking for a .308" and he went and fetched this gun,  which I bought.  Now, when I buy ammunition, some gun dealers will not  sell me 7.62mm because my licence says .308 - even though they know, and  we all know, that they're the same calibre.  So, at some time, I will  have to apply for a variation to my licence, so that it says  .308/7.62mm.   That will cost me something like 50 dollars and, on  current performance, at least 3 months wait - during which time I won't  be able to buy any ammunition, because I have to return the licence and  I'm only allowed to hold a max of 100 rounds!
Anyway, I'll see if I can get photos of the proof marks but they're not  very clear.  I am beginning to wonder if Branxhunter might have a point  about it being a PH copy.

Brithunter

As far as I am aware Parker-Hale did not stamp any receivers with a calibre marking. The chambering was stamped on top of the barrel chamber like this:-

Or in the case of the 1200TX target rifle on the barrel like this:-

The stock is a SILE which Parker-hale used and I'll bet if one looks carefully in either the barrel channel or under the butt pad the name SILE will be stamped there.

Now I do not think that Chigley's rifle is in fact a Parker-Hale but a sporterised Israeli Mauser they did have 7.62mm stamped on the the receiver ring.

The floor plate appears to be a std military one and if that is the case then a pointed bullet as in a military spitzers tip is used to put into the hole and push the latch in then the whole floor plate is dragged backwards towards the trigger guard to release it.
Go Get them Floyd!

Chigley

Thanks Brithunter - I'll take another look and see what I can find.

Tags: