elk 2012

Started by JaDub, October 17, 2012, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

This Saturday marks the begining of our elk hunt for 2012. Having been up scouting numerous times in our new hunt area I feel we now have a pretty good handle on what it has to offer. Thankfully it is on private property so we are avoiding the conditions of last year. The main concern this year is the rather late summer we`re having which does slow the elk migration from comming down out of the high country. This year will be a drastically different camp experience from last year. This year we will be staying in an old one room trappers cabin that was built around the turn of the 19th century. No more 10,000` + elevation at zero degree nites all the while being nearly blown off the mountain in gale force winds. Think Jerimiah Johnson ( without the squaw ) . This year is going to be more like staying in the Hilton.

Our scouting revealed lots of elk droppings from last year and numerous scrapes from this years` rutt. The scrapes were MOST impressive. :yes:

I`ll leave a few pictures from our scouting trip last week and I`ll catch up to you all in a couple weeks.

Cheers, JaDub

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Looks comfy, 'Dub........
....................................and the rubs...got promise to 'em.......Luck...........BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

looking forward to the pictures!!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

WOW! That's a nice set up. I can't wait to see the pics of you with an elk.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

22hornet

Great little cabin in a beautiful area.

I'm awaiting the rest of the hunt report. Good luck out there.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Vermonster

That's a gorgeous place!  Love the cabin. Hope you scored!!!

JaDub

We just returned from our elk expediton and I thought I`d post a few pictures.

Just getting comfortable in the `Hilton`. Sure beats a tent , eh??

Fresh cup of joe , anyone??

Searching for the elusive WAPITI .........

lots of acres to cover.........

a dandy 6 x 6 ! Check out the asymetrical antler placement on the head...........

Saw some real dandy bulls...........   nothing like hunting private property!  

Cheers, JaDub

gitano

Great! Congratulations! NICE bull!

That horn root deformation is very interesting!

"Nothing like hunting private property!" Ain't it the troof!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

nice elk!!!!!!! and what majestic countyside!!!! Thanks for sharing! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

crackalope

Getting to hunt on that land was a little glimpse of heaven!

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Vermonster

Very nice elk!  Even though that antler comes out at an odd place, it forms a pretty normal rack.

Congrats!

JaDub

Yep,   I think he found a `weird mushroom`  patch.  8-)

Hunterbug

Nice elk! Interesting antlers.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: