Greetings from a complete newb :))

Started by ShootinPeter, September 25, 2013, 12:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootinPeter

Yorkshire Dales, England.
Not UK, not Britain, ENGLAND!
I feel about my country the way you US guys feel about America ;)

I'm getting on a bit in life but before I fade away I want to do some deer hunting.
Nothing as big as Moose or Reds, just Roe, Muntjak and Water deer.

At this moment I'm trying to resolve a home load problem with a Ruger M77 Mk II with an 18" barrel.
I don't know if you have mimimum ft/lbs muzzle energy in the US but here it's pretty stringent.

I've done a fair bit of shooting in my life, firstly in the Air Force weaned with the glorious SLR ( Enfield L1A1 SLR aka FN FAL originally) such a shame we cannot now use in England.  Also quite a lot of .22 target pistol - have some medals to prove it somewhere.
Then onto trap shooting for several years .. 12 bore.

Recently got back into rifle shooting - .22 for rabbits, 7.62 (308) for range and .243 for hunting.

thehunterslife comes highly recommended for common sense advice. I look forward to joining in.

Pete
"I became aware of somebody coughing softly at my side, like a respectful sheep trying to catch the attention of its shepherd" P.G. Wodehouse :bowdown:(Thank you, Jeeves)

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Welcome Pete, you will find much useful advise here sans ego!
Paul is already primed on the 18" problem!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

Welcome Pete!

Contrary to popular belief, we're not all a bunch of Jingoes on the west shore o' the pond.
But I for one, am glad you came to talk about guns and hunting first!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

ShootinPeter

Ah, OK. But to care about your country is not abad thing.

Too many countries world wide don't seem to. :undecided:
"I became aware of somebody coughing softly at my side, like a respectful sheep trying to catch the attention of its shepherd" P.G. Wodehouse :bowdown:(Thank you, Jeeves)

gitano

QuoteNot UK, not Britain, ENGLAND!:biggthumpup:
(Although, I have to admit ignorance about the difference between "Britain" and England. Until recently I didn't understand the difference between GB and England. :stars:)

Glad to have a new member post Peter. I think you may fit right in here, as we are an unopinionated bunch. :happy: (If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale...) We speak our minds, but we are respectful of other people's opinions AND nationalities. We KNOW that we aren't responsible for the idiotic things our politicians do, and we appreciate that the same holds for those from other countries.

As j0e_bl0ggs said, I'm aware of your .243 challenge and am having a look at it with QuickLoad. Between the bunch of us, we'll probably be able to come up with 'something'

Welcome aboard!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

ShootinPeter

A bridge for sale, Paul?
Now that IS a coincidence.
I have a stream at the rear of my cottage where a bridge would suit nicely.
Span? circa 1.25 miles.
Weight to bear?  12 tons should suffice.
The price is...?

Nice to note you are an expert with Quickload :yes:
j0e tells me you need a degree in advanced rocket science with a 10 years learning curve to load the program even.

With this morning's news we seem to be progressing in the right direction.
I appreciate the effort :bowdown:
Even more so when I see the rambling waffle on a UK forum on this subject.

gitano

A 1.25 mile wide "stream", eh? :D

I think "a degree in advanced rocket science with a 10 years learning curve to load the program even" might be a bit on the hyperbolic side of things, but it does take a while to learn to pay attention to all the little nuances of the program. As an inveterate firearms 'tinkerer', I have found QuickLOAD (QL)to be extraordinarily helpful. Not sure what I would do without it these days.

I should add though that for the output of QL to be the most accurate, (predict muzzle velocity and chamber pressure correctly), one needs to input more than just "standard" specifications. J0e can let you know what those specs are and how easiest to get them from your rifle. However, the output from "standard" specs is almost always "close enough" to start with. About the only thing the detailed specs do for you is save bullets, powder and time. Let me explain.

When you start, the closer you are to the finished load, the less time and money you will spend finding that final load. The information you have now is a very good starting point. What I would do with that info is:

1) "back off a bit" on charges,
2) load about 5 each of a few charges, working up to and slightly past the "end point" that QL gives,
3) Shoot the loads over a chronograph, and
4) Note the "good" ones.

With more detailed specifications about the rifle, you would still have to do all of the steps, I would just expect the "bit" you have to "back off" to be a smaller bit, and finding the "good" load could come in a surprisingly small number of shots. Still, you CAN 'get there from here' by using the "standard" settings.

Best of luck. The "charge" for doing the QL workup is posting the results of your efforts, AND ALL DEAD ANIMAL PICTURES TAKEN AS A RESULT OF THIS WORKUP :D here at THL.

All the best,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Welcome to THL, glad to have you here.

Regarding England, I wouldn't trust a man who didn't love his country.  If he didn't love it and didn't have the gumption to go find one he did love, and only wanted to wallow in his misery, what kind of person would he be?  

Back on topic, love the .243 for hunting and would love to have one of those slick little Rugers, thats a nice handy package.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

welcome aboard Peter!!!! hope to see you around a lot and look forward to your posts. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

ShootinPeter

j0e is away suffering Scotland for a week, he tells me.
Unless, of course, he's potting Reds :D

Suggested I copy my latest check results here.
So, without more ado...

QuoteWeight dry after full length resize with spent primer inserted.

Weight wet - fill with raised meniscus then seep off with kit towel until no meniscus.

Dry case outside to soak any spilt drops of water.

Note: (9.999) = weight in oz, otherwise grams.

..........Dry      ...............Wet ...........Make
1     11.49(0.405)   14.95(0.527)   PPU WIN
2     11.56(0.408)   14.99(0.529)   PPU WIN
3     11.51(0.406)   14.96(0.528)   PPU WIN
4     11.57(0.408)   15.02(0.530)   PPU WIN
5     11.56(0.408)   14.98(0.528)   PPU WIN
 ===
     6     10.65(0.376)   14.16(0.499)   WINCHESTER WIN
     7     10.58(0.373)   14.15(0.499)   WINCHESTER WIN
      8     10.55(0.372)   14.14(0.499)   WINCHESTER WIN
     9     10.67(0.376)   14.24(0.502)   WINCHESTER WIN
10   10.70(0.377)   14.23(0.502)   WINCHESTER WIN

( Note: Whatever I try I cannot format the above table correctly) :no:

There appears to be a greater volume variation in the WINCHESTER results in the order of 2% but 1.1% in the PPU cases.

Is this signifcant?

Also the volumes in the WINCHESTER cases is greater by 0.112cc - how much does this affect fps?
'Charge' conditions for enjoying your company duly noted and agreed  :kiss:

gitano

See this thread http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17120, Peter, for the analysis based on your case capacity data.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: