Good catch

Started by davidlt89, October 27, 2013, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

last weekend was the opener of early fox and coyote. I set out four dirt sets last sunday on a pretty good piece land and finally landed me a coyote today. Coyote and fox are not my "favorite" to trap for but I wanted to at least get one of each, 1) to say I trapped and held them, 2) for the wall. This one is probably 45-50lbs.

She was not to happy when I turned the corner coming to the trap, but did not take her long to calm down. I pulled out the pistol and planted one behind the shoulder and she was dead in 10 seconds. I actually got a pass through with .22! must of missed all the ribs!

probably up here, coyotes are the hardest thing to catch, with the exception of bobcat. But no one really goes after bobcat with all the lynx restrictions. We are also limited to a trap that is no bigger than 5 3/8". Almost to small for coyote, but we have to use what we can.

These canines are pretty smart and you know they have a good sense of smell. They are very weary and if anything looks "out of place", they are gone. So I am happy to say the least. will skin him up in a couple days. Just got in 42 muskrat sets today so it is going to get busy. Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Vermonster

Good looking Doggie!!!

JaDub

WOOOF  !    Nice job David!     That pelt will look great in your man-cave.

davidlt89

i forgot to save the skull!!!:angry: going to have to go out back and see if I can find it! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Awesome David!!

Had a retired guvment trapper show me how to catch song dogs. Sadly here in CO, leg hold traps are "illegal" and snares work, but are much harder to hide and make work.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

"I forgot to save the skull"???

Wassamattayou?

There are other parts to save as well. If you're gonna be a "real" trapper, you're gonna hafta learn to squeeze every last dime out of every animal you take. In the days before Ebay, it was sometimes difficult to get anyone one to take some of the "parts". But now, you can sell AIR on Ebay! Since the above coyote was a female, there was no baculum, but coyote bacula go for $10 on Ebay.

I would save animal GUTs if I could figure out a way to preserve and use them!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteWassamattayou?
had a big brain cramp!!! just dawned on me last night. it should be out back where I dumped it and the deer my friends son shot. should be pretty picked clean also.
I did save the baculum out of the first raccoon I got, it is over to dhitch's house awaiting me to pick it up. however, i had all intentions of saving it on the second one also but the tail gave me such a hard time, I forgot. First and foremost though, I want that coyote skull!!! God Bless.

davidlt89

coyote head retrieved and in safe storage!!!! God Bless.

Tags: