Canada Goose Stew

Started by Smokepole, January 28, 2005, 10:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokepole

I found this recipe for goose stew and gave it a try.  It is for 8-10 people so I scaled it back abit.

I took two goose breasts and made a “goose stew” last weekend.  It was something new to try with the meat.  This recipe calls for 4 breasts but I didn’t want to waste the meat if it didn’t turn out good.

I also reduced the salt soak to ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of instant meat tenderizer.  All I can say is that my gang ate the entire pot of stew.  Next time I’ll have to make a larger batch.

Recipe:
·   Soak breasts from four geese overnight in 1/3 C. salt and 2 TBS baking soda.
·   Sauté 1 large onion, stalk celery in 4 TBS butter for a few minutes.
·   Carve breasts into 2 in. pieces and sauté in the onion/butter mixture for 10 min. at medium to high heat.
·   While goose is sautéing, add 2 TBS Worcester sauce and liberal amount of garlic powder. Also add small amount of hot sauce to taste.
·   Add 48 oz. can beef consommé (that's the secret) and simmer one hour. During this process, add salt to taste.
·   Add vegetables (we use potato, turnip, carrots, cabbage and parsnips) and simmer at least 30 minutes.
·   Serve with rolls or bread and ask your guests how their wild beef stew tastes. Even your non-goose eaters will love it! The above recipe would feed 8-10 people.

Sincerely,
Smokepole

Tags: