Holiday Sambar Deer Hunt

Started by Jorge in Oz, January 09, 2014, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

That's winter hunting temps for us. ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Winter hunting temps have little dashes in front of the numbers...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

So I've heard....... :(
Every year we usually get 1 or 2 nights when it drops to -7 C but I suspect the number behind your dash is significantly bigger.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

I can see why they sell so much equipment to keep hunters warm in North America. I wouldn't fancy sitting in a stand with below zero temps waiting for a deer but I guess you must do what you can to get some venison or that trophy stag.

Neglected to mention in my spill that I was unloading my Enfield 303-270, I clicked the safety off and a round fired in close proximity to my mate Matt. It was too close for me and I take my hat off to him for not soiling his pants. I was most annoyed as this had happened once before when we were  checking to see if we were sighted in in state forest and at the time I thought I had depressed the trigger but I realised I had not.

Put the rifle aside for the rest of the trip but I decided to investigate so I took it apart and noticed that the previous owner in his wisdom (or lack there of) had decided to convert the military trigger to single stage by sanding down the humps on the trigger. He went too far on the second one and I can see how unsafe it now is. I had checked the trigger break with a snap cap when I first got it but it seemed fine. In hindsight I should have taken that sucker apart to check it all over. I am now considering selling it after I buy a replacement military trigger for it. Not happy at all but I feel torn as it is a very accurate rifle but a military trigger will not assist to retain this level of accuracy.

I have seen the Huber triggers with the little ball bearing but I'm not keen on spending Au$100 on something that may not be any better. Does anyone have any experience with these triggers. Here is the link. http://www.combathunting.com/ENFIELD_RIFLE-Lee_Enfield_Trigger_SMLE_1_Mk_III_Also_4_Mk_I_1.html

The 8x57 Mauser Vergueiro has a heavy trigger too but I am considering buying an aftermarket Timney or Bolt (seen one on FleaBay) trigger for that rifle.

Any advise on both of these. Can the mauser milsurp triggers be honed. It is currently single stage but breaks heavy.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

Sadly, 303 wildcat rifles are worth very little. If this rifle really is accurate it may be worth hanging onto it and upgrading the trigger when you can afford it. I was going to sell my 303/25, which admittedly is a beater, and a number of gun dealers said that they had 303/270s & 303/25s that had been sitting in stock for years.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

I have experienced three "ADs" (accidental discharge) in my life, and all were very disconcerting.

Let's clear something up about military, two-stage triggers. They are NOT "inherently inaccurate". In fact, some incredibly small groups at VERY long ranges have been fired with "factory" military triggers. Two-stage military triggers are REQUIRED at "Service Rifle" competitions, and those guys and rifles shoot tiny little groups. Personally, I PREFER the "two-stage" trigger now that I have learned to shoot one. The first "stage" is nothing more than a "take-up" to let you know "where you are". It's the second stage that is the one that contributes to precision. With the proper attention, any two-stage trigger can be just as good as any after-market trigger. It would be a shame to get rid of a rifle one liked simply because it has a two-stage trigger. There is NO reason why a two-stage trigger should adversely effect precision.

My suggestions are:
1) Get the replacement trigger you mentioned and try it out.
2) If it is too "strong", then replace the spring. Doing so is TRIVIAL. The most difficult task will be getting a new spring. If that is difficult, you can "trim" the existing one. Nip off a single rotation, and test. If it needs more, take off another. The WORST that could happen is that you'd have to ultimately replace the spring.

You can "hone" the trigger sear, but as you have seen, this can be over-done. "Over-done" is the result of not taking one's time and TESTING FREQUENTLY. A great deal can be done to improve the 'feel' of a trigger by simply "polishing" with steel wool. That would be my first suggestion. That will take any "grit" out of the trigger pull. If it's still not satisfying, you can proceed to "hone" it with 1200-grit wet-dry sandpaper, but you have to GO SLOW AND TEST FREQUENTLY. Also, hone ONLY the trigger sear, NOT the cocking-piece sear. You can "polish" the cocking piece sear, but DO NOT "hone" it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Andy, I bought my 303-270 quite cheaply and I don't think I'd have a problem getting back what I paid for it but it would be hard to let go being so accurate (hunting accuracy). Any Enfield I have ever bought has not been a collectors' rifle as I like to have utilitarian rifles that can be taken in the bush and not be worried about scratching the stock or blueing. Half the fun for me is making my own rounds with those wildcats, although my last batch of 303-270s left much to be desired as I broke my reloading press (last cast alloy/aluminium press I buy) so I had to finish them with the vice die and I didn't hammer the case in far enough as the necks were lose and swallowed my pills. I haven't needed a bullet puller but now I'll have to get one.

Paul, thanks for your informative feedback. Never really taken a Mauser apart but it was a no brainer. I cut a single rotation last night and it helped but was still stiff. I may do a second one and just polish the trigger sear and cocking piece sear and then test it. If that doesn't improve it I will hone the trigger sear, gradually and checking it in intervals. I don't fancy another rifle misfiring.

About the 2 stage trigger I have a short memory. I had a Mauser Vergueiro in original military condition with a scout scope set up and that shot just over an inch at 100 meters with a two stage trigger. I am bidding for a military trigger for the Enfield on eBay at the moment so if I win it, I'll just install it and test some groups before I proceed to do anything to it. I missed out on the aftermarket trigger for the Mauser so I'll persist with what you suggested.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback on this thread.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Some of that tension you feel is not the trigger spring, but the strength of the firing pin spring. Something to keep in mind as you shorten the spring as at some point, even with no trigger spring, there will be tension maintained by the firing pin spring.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: gitano;130404Some of that tension you feel is not the trigger spring, but the strength of the firing pin spring. Something to keep in mind as you shorten the spring as at some point, even with no trigger spring, there will be tension maintained by the firing pin spring.

Paul

Cheers Paul will keep that in mind.

22hornet

Jorge, you should be able to seek out an original trigger for your SMLE pretty cheaply. Try Western Firearms or Lawrence Ordnance.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Cheers Scott, got me one on eBay albeit it cost me $17 including postage, which is ok.

Will spend some more time on the Mauser trigger while I wait for the Enfield trigger to arrive.

Mates keep telling me to sell the old bangers and get a new rifle, I'm still resisting even contemplating buying a Lee No1 Mk I sporter. Will have to resist that temptation as I could be hunting deer with a 303 in the future. I guess I could do a lot worse.

kombi1976

You could do MUCH worse. People hunt deer with far worse cartridges. Using AR2209 and a 180gr bullet you can push them out at about 2450fps, quite healthy enough for sambar. For fallow a 125gr pill doing close to 2850fps is ample. We only use 120gr Nosler BTs when hunting fallow with 7mm-08.
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;130471Mates keep telling me to sell the old bangers and get a new rifle, I'm still resisting even contemplating buying a Lee No1 Mk I sporter. Will have to resist that temptation as I could be hunting deer with a 303 in the future. I guess I could do a lot worse.

There are a few Parker Hale's, No.4's and SMLE's that pop up from time to time. I would love one of those. :sweetheart: But I am a Lee Enfield fan.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

I like those Parker Hales too, but they sell like hot cakes especially the 303s.

Andy, Remington Core Lokt 180 grain ammo claim about 2460 which is not bad. It's a shame Highland ammo is not around anymore and I haven't seen any Prvi Partisan in the shops yet. S & B only load 150 grainers and FMJs. Ilike the hotter Euro stuff but the Rem is not bad if it actually achieves the claimed speeds.

I'm hanging out to get another 303 shouldn't have sold my last two.

Jorge in Oz

Paul,

On the Mauser, I removed a Sportsman aftermarket trigger on my varmint barrel 303-25 K98 Oberndorf and fitted it to the Vergueiro. That really made a world of difference. I will just have to inlet the stock to fit the aftermarket trigger.

What was really surprising was how good the Vergueiro trigger broke on the K98. Vergueiros share the same trigger as the 98 Mausers but the spring on the K98 bolt does not appear to be as stiff so it breaks nice and clean. Will have to test it out to see if it still shoots as good as it did before. The K98 is an ugly boy but with the heavy barrel, bedding and smith work on the magazine it feeds the 303 rimmed case nicely and shoots sub moa at 100 meters so will see if that still holds true. By the way its only a single stage trigger that one so it appears to have also been worked on by the previous owner. Will have to test the safety on that one too. I shot it at the property we hunted on and had no problems with it. Thanks for the advice on the trigger Paul.

Cheers

Jorge

Tags: