Holiday Sambar Deer Hunt

Started by Jorge in Oz, January 09, 2014, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

QuoteWill have to test it out to see if it still shoots as good as it did before.
No reason I can think of that it shouldn't.

QuoteWill have to test the safety on that one too.
I certainly would. I no longer trust ANY "safety". While it is true that 99.44% (the purity of Ivory Snow soap), of ALL ADs are HUMAN ERROR in one form or another, for me, the ONLY "safe" gun is one without a cartridge in the chamber. Again, I trust NO safety.

That said, there are two checks I used to perform to determine if a safety was operating as designed. The first was to sharply strike the butt on the ground (or bench top) with the safety on. Of course the firing pin should not drop. The second, was to kock the rifle, engage the safety, pull the trigger - HARD - and disengage the safety. The firing pin should not fall. Two of the ADs I have experienced in my life occurred after each of the above events (butt hit and safety on-and-off cycle).

The only "safe" gun is one without a round in the chamber.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Still waiting for the Enfield trigger. :frown
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

drinksgin (deceased)

As to short pants, I see SA , OZ  and Kiwis in them often, I cringe at the thought, but where I live, what does not have thorns , cuts or bites so wearing long and heavy pants is about a necessity.
Is the vegetation that friendly in OZ?
Pictures of SA I have seen look very brushy, but I do not know how thorny it is.
Surely you have biting and sucking insects, mosquitoes are every where, even in the desert here and ticks and chiggers can really get to you.
How are the problems faced?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jorge in Oz

DG I normally hang around the camp site or hut in shorts when its warm, but I always go out field in long pants.

When I lived in Queensland where it can get very hot I would venture out now and then in shorts but when I got home I'd have to get the Dettol or Betadine out to treat all the scratches and gouges as there were some seriously thick brush and thorny bushes in some spots. when the adrenaline is pumping after spotting a deer for a closer stalk its the last thing on your mind. You just lick your wounds after the event. I tend to wear high cut boots, long thick pants and sock savers to keep the chances of getting a snakes to a minimum.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

I'm with you, Jorge. I've worn shorts on a couple of occasions in the field. In one the entire property was covered in thistle......a fricken nightmare. Most of the time I wear long pants and try to wear long sleeved shirts, for camo reasons, sun protection, plant protection, insect and snake protection. You can always drink more water if you get hotter but you when you're as white as I am and there are nasties about you don't want to have to deal with sunburn, cuts, stings or bites. And I always where boots at least as high as my ankle. My winter boots are well above the ankle - Irish Setter Grizzly Stalkers.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

That's it Andy. As long as those boots don't come above the knee (CFM boots), otherwise I'd start to worry. May be for international pirates day knee highs are acceptable but at no other time.

I'm olive complexion but burn like a redhead, figure that one out. Because I surf and play tennis, I'm always brown as and people think that is my natural skin colour, till they see me without a top and shudder at the cadaver's pallor. My wife thought she was marrying a dark/black man and got the shock of her life at our honeymoon (nothing wrong with my manhood, it was the colour of my skin). This is why I also wear long sleeve shirts and long pants. My grandmother (dad's mum) died of skin cancer (she was quite fair) and dad got some cut out of his face a few years back so I take care. Don't wear sunscreen when i hunt as the scent would scare the deer off.

kombi1976

I don't where sunscreen either, but I cover up like mad. You've probably seen pics of me wearing a cowboy hat. It goes EVERYWHERE with me. I'm too bald and fair not to have an good wide brimmed hat and I wasn't going to buy a lame straw hat like life guards wear so I bought something with class & character. The fact I also wear cowboy boots as often as possible has nothing to do with a vain wish to lasso long horns down the Rio Grande. It's actually because every 80s metal lead guitar player I loved as a teenager wore those boots and I've given up caring what other people think. I do get asked if I left my horse outside from time to time but if things get really irritating I tell them it's not for looks, it's for the sun, and that my grandfather died with melanoma. That tends to end the chaps and spurs comments. The fact that my grandfather also died with pro$tate cancer, both were held comfortably at bay by meds and he actually succumbed to influenza after struggling with Alzheimers for 15 years is beside the point. ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

drinksgin (deceased)

I have been bald since I was 16, went too many years in the South Texas sun with out a hat, now I visit the dermatologist each year to have all the pre cancerous lesions frozen, NOW, I wear a 3 1/2" brim hat.
As the old saying goes, too soon old, to late smart.
I was really wondering about snakes, I think I read that OZ has more 2 step snakes than anywhere else.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I am almost literally biting my tongue with respect to some of the comments made in the last 5 posts. "Fun-poking" is less fun - if not less humorous - when the basis is "cultural".

:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

We are all among friends here Paul so go right ahead you guys would be shocked at some of the things Aussies say to each other joking around, it's all in good fun and no harm intended. I remember at my old firm we had some American guys come over to help us out in our busy season from affiliated firms across the U.S. and they could not believe how we would joke around about ethnic origins and appearances. They said they would be sacked on the spot if they said those things in the US work place. Political correctness to the extreme.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;130782I am almost literally biting my tongue with respect to some of the comments made in the last 5 posts. "Fun-poking" is less fun - if not less humorous - when the basis is "cultural".

:D

Paul

It's all good Paul. Just because we make fun doesn't mean we don't like. Odd humour but good humour.  :biggthumpup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Maybe I was misunderstood... I was biting my tongue so that I did not comment. ;)

I was not complaining about comments made!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Exactly, don't hold back Paul. I got what you meant.

kombi1976

From memory Paul needs no encouragement...... ;)
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Just a little news. I'm off south again this May to hunt sambar although I'll be camping with friends 2 hours south of my previous location rather than hunting from the same cabin. Hopefully I'll actually take a sambar this time. :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: