In the days before non-toxic

Started by Alboy, January 30, 2005, 06:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

To the best of my recollection this was 1983 surely not more than a year either way.

I had just got back to houston after 8 years with Uncle Sam and a year in Iowa freezing while trying to build hog barns.

My buddy Jimbo had talked me into trying goose hunting again and I borrowed my dad's Winchester modle 12 in 12 gauge with 2 3/4" chamber and full choke. Dad bought that gun about 1955.

Before non-toxic steel was rammed down our throats our favorite load was lead #4's copper plated with buffer at about 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce load.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

DEADBIRD

Nice specklebelly. I remember those days.  I'll never forget the first year that steel shot went state wide in Missouri.  I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  Then I realised I had to get the birds to within 20 Yards to get the most impact with those early loads on nontox.  I got really tired of hitting birds and them flying 200yards and falling dead after they bled out.  Those early loads were poor and all the energy went through the bird instead of knocking them down.:eek:
ENJOYING LIFE IN GODS COUNTRY

Alboy

Yea Dead Bird

It soured me on waterfowling for a long time. That picture was close to the last year I hunted geese until 1996. 12-13 year hiatus because i watched so many just fly off that had been drop dead birds before. Plus worry about harming my old shotguns.

In '96 when I decided to start again I took that same old model 12 out with some #4 Bismuth 2 3/4 shells. The geese were setting up nice, wings cupped up and thinking about putting down the landing gear. While still 75 yards out the whole bunch I was with came up blasting, we could have had them at 25 yards, they were committed. I emptied the Winchester just to have something to do but knew my shots were no good. I went that night and bought a 10 gauge for the next day. As time went on I have been able to find a few guys that still wait them in but most shoot marbles and pray  for one golden hit these days. I try not to hunt with them more than once.

Mostly now I shoot black powder with #4 or #2 Bismuth. If caught short I will shoot modern with #2 steel or Bismuth what ever I have on hand. I find I shoot a lot fewer times and bring more birds down. When hunters ask for shell recommendations for their hunts I always reccommend bismuth as the cost may make them a little more selective on their shots and is a lot easier on their weapons. They can also use dad's old shotgun with it.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

calestus

75yds? That seems a wee bit far. Shot has almost no energy at that distance. I've never had the chance to go goose hunting though. Unfortunatley all I ever do is defend the world from evil Neon Orange Disks.  

*SHHHhhh* they are watching!

Alboy

Calestus

Its alright if they watch.....................................................................as long as they take good notes!

At 75 yards the really big shot sizes can bring one down if it breaks a wing or hits the head. Just about any other hit is slow death and a lost bird. Odds are very slim to get the bird and pretty high to cripple it. Plus you make the survivers even more skittish.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

calestus

So how does one go about getting on a goose hunt?  I know how to point a scattergun and thats about it.

mudturtle

75 yds?  I've hunted once with a guy who took shots like that.  I left him in the feild and have not hunted with him since.

I never had the oppertunity to hunt waterfowl with lead shot, but wish I had.  I've heard some really great stories on shots.  When I go out for waterfowl, not shot is taken at greater than 35-40 yrds on ducks and 45-50 yrds. on geese, and that's only if I can't get them to work closer.  Once you go beyond these ranges, you take too much of a chance on injuring birds and you usually will not recover them.  It simply is not ethical hunting.  I won't even sky bust geese during the early seasons.  This does nothing more than educate the birds making them harder to decoy.  Always try and bring them into 20-25 yrds.  What a rush and its a much easier shot.

As far getting a goose gun, I prefer semi's, but that is a personal decision.  I shoot a Winchester super X2.  I love it.  I weighs about 8.5lbs, but that comes in handy when I shoot 3.5" shells.  I recommed a gun capible of 3.5", but it is not neccessary.  A 2 3/4" shell will kill geese just as well as a 3.5",  the birds just have to be a little closer.  Other options are availbe from Browning, Benelli, Remington, and many others.  I also prefer a 12 ga. to a 10 ga. as it is more versitle, but if the gun is a dedicated goose gun, a 10 ga. works great.

Alboy

mudturtle

On the occasions I get caught hunting with guys that shoot those 75 yard distances I try to move 300 + yards or so and look for pass shots and be down wind for the injured and starting to drop birds that I can finish off. Usually the ones that shoot the long shots also shine like beacons and flare more than they get to shoot at.

As for even shooting at 50 yards I will post a lead table for shooting shotguns at passing water fowl it will surprise many I bet. It is published for Black powder but the shot speed and energy hold for most modern shot shells also. Exception being the 1500-1600 advertised muzzle velocity new generation steel shells.

As for shooting irons can not agree with more with the "personal decision" perspective. Modern or BP I prefer SxS. Have done well over the years with pumps, bolt actions over/unders and single shots. Never had the cash to spend on a semi but have seen them work well also. Versatility for a guy that can only afford one to hunt with right now to me would be a pump that can handle 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 in 12 gauge. What that give up to a 10 in payload is not even a sniffle. If a fellow is really tight on funds the New Englander type break open single shots will get it done.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: