Deer everywhere!

Started by LvrLover, April 05, 2014, 11:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

We had a very cold winter with a lot of snow and now that the south slopes are finally opening up the deer are out in force. They are so hungry they eat off and on all day in the open. I had an alfalfa field across the road from the parlor today that had 15 deer in it so out of curiosity I drove around and looked at some of my other hunting grounds. 60 acre alfalfa field had 25 deer on it and 12 more across the road in the corn stubble. Another field of corn stubble had 30 deer in it and the one across from that had 10. I have NEVER seen them like this. This is not to mention the singles and small groups I saw driving around. My boss has about 1500 acres (mostly in small parcels less than 100 acres) spread over a 7 mile radius from the milking parlor and I only looked at a couple fields. It will be interesting to see the fawn count. Round here they almost always have twins. On a side note, I think we lost a lot of turkey and pheasant. Seem pretty thin compared to normal.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

davidlt89

Isn't that fun to watch lvrlover? up here, when the snow gets down, we have places where the deer do just as you are saying. It is not unusual to see 200 in some spots eating away. The time should happen sometimes this month. It always happens in the town I grew up in and in the exact same fields. I will try to get a picture this year, it is quite a site. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

We had the coldest Winter in many many years but the Turkey population looks better than it's been for at least 6 years. The Turkey is a very hardy bird and their ability to scratch through snow and ice is amazing. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: