more animal damage control

Started by davidlt89, June 15, 2014, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Sooo, I finished up my last job and drained the pond. It was just about dry the next day. I got my traps and pulled out. I got in my truck and got back to the road and went up to make sure the guys culvert at the main rd was clear, but it was packed with mud. So I got out my rake and cleared the mud from the culvert.

Now, the guy I am doing the work for lives in new hampshire, this is his "retirement" land. I had just talked to him the day before letting him know the job was done on the new beaver pond and what the bill was. He had asked me if the beaver clogging the culvert were the same beaver I had just taken care of. I would of bet dollars to donuts that they were, so I told him I thought so.

After looking at the amount of mud that there was from the last time I was there, it was evident there had been work done after the elimination of the beaver in the big pond. So I let the water drain and went back saturday morning. Culvert clogged again!!! the guy I was doing the work for had given me the green light to "do whatever I needed to do" to get rid of all the beaver, especially the culvert cloggers. So I got out some traps and commenced to find a good place to lay a couple.

this was not easy to say the least!!!! It was hard to get around even where there was little water because there was about a foot of mud in some places!!! there was a "mainway" the beaver were coming through and one place off of that. I set the place off of that then all I could do was set one off of the culver about 3 ft and cage it in. I knew they would definitely try to get there.

I set that trap at around noon and went back at seven to find this fella.

I took him out of the trap and reset, then went home. Today, this is what the section by the road looked like.

unclogging the culvert dropped the water level a foot and half. Nothing has been back since yesterday so I do believe this fella was all alone. He is the right size for a juvenile male and I would not be surprised if he was not kicked out of the pond I was on and made his way to the road. There was an old house there so he may have been looking to get his own colony going. I will keep traps there for a few more day, but if nothing comes within the next couple days, there "ain't" no beaver left!!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

JaDub

David.........   I remember when you were a `rookie` just trying to catch your FIRST beaver.   Now I think your name should be the `beaver terminator`.  ..........   or just `The Terminator`.    You`ve come a LONG way dude !!  8-)

davidlt89

QuoteYou`ve come a LONG way dude
thanks Jadub for the compliment. I am still learning though! Beaver runs in my blood starting with my great grandfather!!! The place I take the kids fishing with the stock pond is a farm, 100 acres, he bought with trapping money. He used to get flown up in the north maine woods for a few weeks at a time and come back with more beaver than i am showing you!!! Beaver are my favorite thing to trap and for all intensive purposes, pretty straight forward. Hoping to bag some other things this coming season!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: