Fall food plots

Started by sakorick, August 23, 2014, 06:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

It finally dried up enough to disc my fall food plots(barely) which will be Radishes and Turnips. I also disced my sunflower strips so the birds can dust.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

For some reason I thought the 4010 was a diesel. Oh well. If you had a winter curtain on it you could use it for a stand too.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;133697For some reason I thought the 4010 was a diesel. Oh well. If you had a winter curtain on it you could use it for a stand too.

RJ

RJ you are correct. 1960-1963, 58,000 new generation 4010's were built available in diesel, gasoline or propane. In 1962 farm gas was .18 delivered. Then it went up to .30 in 1963. Farmers went to diesel in 63. The 4020 replaced the 4010 in 1963......7000 gas, 7500 propane and 168,000 diesel 4020's were produced from 1963 to 1972.

John Deere's innovative 4010 tractor was easily one of the greatest successes any tractor company had since the industry was created. The 4010 included a plethora of innovative features that the rest of the industry either hadn't even dreamed of yet or were only just experimenting with.  It was introduced so suddenly and unexpectedly that even Deere's own salespeople needed to catch their breath at its release. It has been said that the 4010 JD tractor saved the company from sure bankruptcy.

recoil junky

I thought yours was diesel, but I see that ginormus carb!! Is yours power shift or synchromesh? I can't remember if the "10" series were available with power shift or not.

Live PTO with front output (on the front of the transmission) as well as rear, load sensing three point hitch, finger tip power steering and brakes, easily adjustable wheel width and the seat was a marvel!!!. Probably there worst thing was those skinny 12 volt batteries!!The 380 cubic inch diesel had 84 PTO horse power. That was a BIG tractor until the 5020 came along with a 531 ci 140 HP. Our 5020 was turbocharged (aftermarket) and it was rated at 160 PTO HP. It's only downfall was that it couldn't go "all day" on a tank of fuel!! (but you could pull a six bottom plow in 4th gear :grin:)

I see you also have the "old man" steps on yours. :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Mine is the John Deere Syncro-Range tranmission in 1&3, 2&5, 4&7 and 6&8 with low Rev in 1-3, med rev in 2-5 and hi rev in 4-7. It truly was a revolutionary tractor back in the day. Yes, I have the sissy steps and worth every penny. At nearly 69(my age) they are a game changer. I converted mine to 12 volt system using delco 6 cyl parts which cost a whopping 45 dollars including the alternator. I did have to change the gas gauge to a 12 volt and rewire the tank to neg ground wiring.  The PTO and hydraulics work like new and I have a lid!!! I changed the hydro accumulator box to a 4020 version which is a quantum leap. Other than that she is all original. They cost around $4500 new.....I have $7500 in mine and it's worth around 10K in these parts. She burns 4.5 gal of regular/hr pulling hard in 4th gear.

JaDub

When we got our brand - spanking new 4010 D it was truly a spaceship back then. Best **** tractor ever made.......... well maybe next to the Farm-All Ms & Hs in their day. I think it was the only NEW tractor we ever bought.

Tags: