Hello Everyone!

Started by apeters24, September 30, 2014, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

AP, here's the perfect shotgun for you:

http://www.remington.com/comparison.aspx?remove=true

Even I want one. Great job on your first bird hunt. I question your judgement in picking a guide though. He's kind of "shady". :antlers:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

apeters24

RJ, the link you posted doesn't show anything other than, "you have not chosen any other items to compare."  You've got me interested if you could double check your link.

As for my guide -- sometimes you have to settle with just your average hunter when you're just getting started.  ;)

recoil junky

There was supposed to be two links :o This one was supposed to be first.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-1100/model-1100-american-classic.aspx

I had the predecessor to the 1100. I wish I still had it because it would be older than me and still shooting. It is and always will IMO the premier shotgun. A Benelli is maybe better, but they are twice as much. If you are looking seriously at getting a shotgun, I'd get one that you know is going to outlast just about anything else out there. The semi-auto is much easier on a "small girl" type person's shoulder too.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

apeters24

I've looked at a few shotguns at a local store, but have yet to find something I LOVE.  I definitely know I'd like a 20g and I'm really liking the black - synthetic look.  This is the gun that I keep going back to when I'm in the store...

http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/pa_08/pa08_synthetic

The only problem is, it's quite big.  My arms are fully extended when holding it up.  Not sure if there's the option of getting it shorter or something else out there that compares.  Guess I should probably ask more question the next time I'm in!  :)

gitano

I see you've already been 'influenced' to the "black plastic" world. If that's what you like, then that's what you should get. Never get a gun, or anything else for that matter, because "other people" think you should. Get what you like and 'don't look back'.

You SHOULD be able to get that shotgun, especially from Weatherby, in a stock with a shorter "length of pull". The general rule for most folks with regard to length of pull is to bend your arm at the elbow and rest the butt of the shotgun in the crook. The shotgun should then be lined up with your forearm, and you put your finger on the trigger. A "proper" length of pull is one in which your index finger rests comfortably on the trigger. This is only a "general" rule of thumb, but if you are proportioned like "most folks", this should be very close to 'good'. There are other "fits" - like drop at comb - that determine a CUSTOM fit, but you're going to have to get a CUSTOM STOCK if you want those other aspects of "fit" customized to you specifically. Expect to pay for that.

If Weatherby won't provide a "stock" stock with the proper length of pull for you, the plastic stock CAN be shortened and the recoil pad refit. I don't know about Weatherby plastic stocks. Some plastic stocks can be cut shorter, but many can't.

If the Weatherby doesn't "light your fire", keep looking. Life's too short to hunt with a gun you don't LOVE.

We look forward to hearing what you get, and seeing more pictures of your kills. (Your face need not be included. ;) )

Paul

PS - If you're like the rest of us, your tastes will change over the years. Get what you like now.

Paul

PPS - Here's a version of the same shotgun with a shorter butt-stock http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/pa_08/pa08_uplandyouth And I see this "youth" model also comes with a plastic stock. The text reads:
QuoteShorter 12 1/2" length of pull with 24" barrel fits women and younger shooters

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

How about this http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/browning-hunter-shotgun-012211813-gauge-vent-chmbr-satin-walnut-stock-blue-finish-p-95981.html? If the primary use will be grouse and other upland birds, the 28 gauge is - in my opinion - the "best" gauge. I promise you that if you can hit them with a .410, you can hit them "better" with a 28.

The above shotgun isn't in your preferred plastic, but it is a pump. And... there are a herd of them with plastic stocks.http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/gauge-shotguns-sale-online-shop-firearms-c-9935_13769_13910_13922.html

Here's something from an "outdoor" rag. While I normally don't care much for what they write, I couldn't have said the following much better.

QuoteUnless you shoot American skeet or frequent Southern quail plantations, you probably don’t see a whole lot of 28 gauge shotguns. That’s too bad. The 28 gauge is one of the most all-around exciting cartridges to shoot – among both rifles and shotguns. I equate it to the .22LR: It’s a great gun for a beginning shooter because it doesn’t recoil much (a 28 gauge over-under with a short stock is an ideal first shotgun for a small woman or child), and it’s effective on all kinds of targets and game. Oh, and once you shoot one, you’ll want one. I guarantee it.
Unfortunately, The 28 gauge has fallen victim to high ammunition prices and the ever-increasing popularity of the 12 gauge, the cartridge with seemingly endless factory loads and the major boom-boom that the modern sportsman thinks he needs. And that’s where this conversation about the best 28 gauge field-model shotguns currently on the market should start – the misconception of “knockdown power.”

The truth is, a No. 6 pellet fired at any particular speed carries the same energy whether it is fired from a 12 gauge or a 28 gauge. Both kill the same. The difference is that you can fit more shot in a 12 gauge and put more shot downrange, which translates to better pattern density at long ranges.

However, if you want to shoot any clay target discipline, hunt upland birds or small game at typical distances, or just want a fun, lightweight gun that’s easy to shoot and easy to carry all day, seriously consider a 28 gauge. Just heed these two pieces of advice: 1) If you’ll shoot it a lot, learn to reload and you’ll save a lot of money; 2) Don’t spoil the experience by buying the heaviest field loads you can find.

If you want more lead in the air, bump up to a bigger gauge. If you want to shoot the 28, stick with 3/4-ounce target loads and no more than 7/8-ounce field loads. Heavier, faster loads almost always result in increased felt recoil from the light little shotguns that companies are currently manufacturing in 28 gauge.

I have a matched, boxed set side-by-side set of .410 and 28 gauge in a Huglu. (Huglu was bought out by CZ early in this century.) My "old" (two centuries ago) side-by-sides not considered, that shotgun is my absolute favorite, with no close second.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

Thanks for all the info Paul!  I definitely like the looks of the Charles Daly 300.  I have shot a 28 gauge, in fact my step father had one, but sold it just before I decided on getting my license!  That's why I'm stuck with the 410. until I make my own purchase.  (Should have showed interest a month or so earlier I guess!)

Interesting article as well.  I recently questioned, and received just about a word-for-word response, on the whole difference in shot range and pattern density.  I must have been talking to the right person.  ;)  

Do you think a youth model is something I should take serious consideration in?  Just recently I shot a New England Firearms 20 gauge, youth model, it seemed a bit small.

The purpose for the shotgun I purchase will be strictly for small game, partridge and possible rabbit.

davidlt89

She is in good hands gentlemen! I offered her my 28ga to start, but her step dad was persistent on his .410. I did not turn her on to synthetic, she was drawn to it......must be a maine thing. She is doing a knockdown job with the .410. After seeing her with it friday i have gained a little respect for that little shotgun!!!! It really reached out on the last bird!!!  Gun shoppind sure is fun!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Didn't realize you had a 28, David. glad to hear it!

With regard to "youth" models and fit, apeters24: It's relatively easy to add a thicker recoil pad to a short stock. It's more work to - but still relatively easy - to shorten a long stock. If a "youth" model feels too short for you, do not get it thinking "I'll get used to it". GET IT TO THE RIGHT LENGTH OF PULL. One of the worst-feeling shotguns I have EVER shot was a poor-fitting 20 ga.

Firearm shopping IS one of the most fun things to do. And fun for those watching too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteAnd David, we'll have a chat about asking for permission to post photos while I'm sleeping!
still waiting on the chat!;)
QuoteDidn't realize you had a 28, David. glad to hear it!
It is the one Ashlee was saying her stepfather sold!!! I got a two new england firearm shotguns from him. one in 20ga and one in 28ga. I believe my middle son will be more inclined to use the 28ga when he is 10 and I have always wanted one!!! Got both for 200.00 flat!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

So... You bought apeters24's 28 gauge 'out from under her'. I see a rocky row to hoe, ahead. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Nice shoot`n there Ashley !!   I have a feeling all the grouse in Maine are in trouble .  8-)

davidlt89

QuoteSo... You bought apeters24's 28 gauge 'out from under her'. I see a rocky row to hoe, ahead
Actually I bought the gun before I new Ashlee! Picking it up is really how we met!!!!

apeters24

The persistence regarding the use of the 410. has to do with the history behind it, and I really can't complain thus far as it's dropping birds!

"Actually I bought the gun before I knew Ashlee!  Picking it up is really how we met."

This is true.  Can't blame him for the gun purchase!  Ironically enough, I'm quite happy with the sale of the  28 gauge.  :)

gitano

All's well that ends well. ;)

Proficiency with a single shot .410 will yield dividends for a long time to come. I speak from first-hand experience.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: