Eric's 9 Point

Started by sakorick, November 16, 2014, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Eric shot a nice 9 point this evening. One shot, high double lung that disrupted the spinal cord. He was chasing a doe. I'll post some internal damage pics tomorrow after we skin him. The buck weighed 170 pounds field dressed. Custom Mauser action 30'06 Ackley, 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3131'/sec range 110 yards. My turn soon?

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Congratulations, Eric! NICE buck!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Update. The buck was shot at 129 yards and the Nosler Ballistic Tip was devastating. The bullet jacket was recovered, 71.9 grains, smashed into the shoulder while the main parts of the bullet split in 2 pieces and passed through leaving two gaping holes. Death was near instantaneous. I lost about 3 inches of one tenderloin and about 1/4 of one front shoulder. The field dressed weight was 170 pounds. Eric and I skinned and quartered the Buck this AM and I have wrapped the tenderloins and will get started on the quarters this afternoon.....after a well deserved nap!

knotman

Nice, I was just looking at your stock on your Rifle, who makes it. Thanks Alaska Rick

gitano

That picture of the recovered bullet looks a whole lot like the rear portions of two bullets to me.:confused: Nice that you found them though.

Wait a minit! I see the faint line between them now, indicating that there are two PICTURES of the same bullet. Got it! I was beginning to think one of us was going daft!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fire717

Quote from: knotman;135351Nice, I was just looking at your stock on your Rifle, who makes it. Thanks Alaska Rick

The entire rifle is pretty much a custom build. I just shoot it. I believe its a boyds laminate stock that comes as a squared off blank and Dad (Sakorick) did all the sanding and finishing. I'm sure he can go into more specifics.

sakorick

Quote from: knotman;135351Nice, I was just looking at your stock on your Rifle, who makes it. Thanks Alaska Rick

It's a Boyds Nutmeg stock for a commercial Mauser action. I built the rifle for son Eric about 10 years ago.....Boyd's still makes that color stock for just about everything.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;135353That picture of the recovered bullet looks a whole lot like the rear portions of two bullets to me.:confused: Nice that you found them though.

Wait a minit! I see the faint line between them now, indicating that there are two PICTURES of the same bullet. Got it! I was beginning to think one of us was going daft!

Paul

I got a good laugh out of that one!!!!!:D I just put the front and rear profile on the same picture.

Brithunter

Nice one. Can almost taste it.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Quote from: sakorick;135356It's a Boyds Nutmeg stock for a commercial Mauser action. I built the rifle for son Eric about 10 years ago.....Boyd's still makes that color stock for just about everything.

You mean sumpin' like this except for a Savage Axis action:

Literally just finished today.

If I remember correctly, knotman put a laminated Boyd's stock on a rifle for one of his neighbors.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Nice deer, Eric. Good shooting.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jorge in Oz

Congratulations Eric, nice buck!!
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;135349Update. The buck was shot at 129 yards and the Nosler Ballistic Tip was devastating. The bullet jacket was recovered, 71.9 grains, smashed into the shoulder while the main parts of the bullet split in 2 pieces and passed through leaving two gaping holes. Death was near instantaneous. I lost about 3 inches of one tenderloin and about 1/4 of one front shoulder. The field dressed weight was 170 pounds. Eric and I skinned and quartered the Buck this AM and I have wrapped the tenderloins and will get started on the quarters this afternoon.....after a well deserved nap!

First off nice buck! What do you think of the bullet performance? Myself i like to see them hold together  better but i am sure that the buck dropped like it was hit by the hammer of thor! You made a great looking rifle as well!

sakorick

Thanks farmboy. The bullet initially nicked the near shoulder blade which set up a rather explosive chain reaction. Unfortunately, a bit too explosive. The Left shoulder was pretty much toast. I would guess a 75% loss of the entire shoulder.That said, we shoot these bullets for a reason. Eric shot the deer within 15 yards of the "forbidden zone". The 91 year old neighbor lady has forbidden any trespassing for any reason and my farm abuts her woods. So we shoot what drops them stone dead.

Tags: