Tonights quarry!

Started by davidlt89, November 26, 2014, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Rounded up Apeters24 and went out on a full trap check tonight. I had my adc traps to check and my own personal ones!!! I am not personally trapping for beaver right now, just where they are having problems. I will wait till april to my own, although I think it is going to get really busy for adc work at that time.

First check was for a little town called woodland. Beaver got a dam blocking the culvert and have decided to make a pond. Best sets I could do were by the house due to ice so I set two. So far I have taken two. Hauled that beaver out and went to check on a couple sets for another town.

I believe i have the beaver cleaned out of these places so I was hoping for empty traps. Empty traps they were, this makes the people I am trapping for very happy:smiley:

Got those checks out of the way and went to check my own traps. started with the water sets but no dice. I am mainly set for otter and have only seen a trace of an otter once in the last 3 weeks!!! then went on to check the fisher set. by one of the fisher sets i have a coon cuff set right before going into the woods.

Supposedly my buddy had a lot of coons in that area. that cuff has been set for about 3 weeks and I has not even been looked at. on the way to where the fisher traps was I could see his glowing from the flashlight and knew right away the cuff had struck.

I went up to my friends house and got his .22 and brought 4 bullets. I shot from 4 yards away the first time and the gun is way off. I could not digest that so I shot again and seen a branch above the raccoon move. this made me a little mad. I lost the next bullet on the ground and only had one left so I walked as close as I could get and got the barrel right up to him and let him have it. Coons never seem to go down easy so this one did a little dance before buying it. We are supposed to get 6-10" of snow tonight so I pulled the cuff since it would be useless and coons are not worth much. I am usually good with a couple a year and I have had 3 so far!!!!

Heres the catch.

God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Man! That's a NICE lookin' coon!

If I recall, you have a nice .22 pistol. Betcha strap that to your hip from now on when you go trap checkin'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteIf I recall, you have a nice .22 pistol. Betcha strap that to your hip from now on when you go trap checkin'.
I do Paul!! I am not allowed to have fireams at my work premise, so my buddy left his .22 in the corner. it is the only place I have any taps that might catch something that needs to be dispatched! 99% of my traps are conibears!! I took out the coon cuff and set off the coyote traps due to the snow. everything should be dead when I get there, unless a coon reaches into the 160!!! one did the other day and got out, left a lot of hair behind.

That coon is nice!!! He is really thick! And guess what, I got the whole tail!!! He is also gigantic, thats what they like to see at the auction house!!! Picture has a big coon and a small beaver! Beaver is probably 25lbs. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

apeters24

Quote from: gitano;135781If I recall, you have a nice .22 pistol. Betcha strap that to your hip from now on when you go trap checkin'.

Paul, I'm not certain it was truly an issue with the gun.  Could have very well been the hands it was in!  Or MAYBE I just wasn't standing close enough with the light? ;)

gitano

QuoteI am not allowed to have fireams at my work premise,

Hunh?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

no firearms allowed on work property!!! can't even have one in my truck locked up! God Bless.

davidlt89

QuoteOr MAYBE I just wasn't standing close enough with the light?
Standing back 30 yards, as not to get attacked, was a little much:yes: God Bless.

gitano

Oh, I see. I thought when you said your "work place", you meant where you were processing skins. Your trapping work-place. I 'get' the other 'stuff'. :mad:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

I was close!!! Until you told me they were nasty and had a decent distance they could move while in the cuff!!  Not to mention your initial plan before getting the gun!

Tags: