"Fursday" Challenge

Started by apeters24, December 04, 2014, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeters24

As some may have read in a previous post, I "challenged" David to this evenings event.  He's been having a bit of a hard time aiming the last few times he's picked up a .22, so I made a point to rub it in!  I didn't get a chance to verify whether or not the issue lies with the gun, but I did get a chance to fulfill my comment, "You might as well pull a blanket beaver out for me to flesh for you too!"  

I was asked if I wanted to create tonight's post, and I figured it was a "well deserved" offer after the outcome.  Now if I can push past the pain in my wrist, after fleshing for what seemed hours, I'll fill you all in on what exactly "went down" this evening.

I get to the house, and after some of my own mental preparation, we're ready to begin!  David informs me these are the two beaver we picked up Sunday, while out to the pond in Woodland.  (Pictures in previous post.)  I'm thinking to myself, "Easy.  These guys are babies!"  I get suited up and I'm feeling pretty good!  David "instructs" that he's going to pull a few of the other beaver, which have dried, off the boards, and I can start in with fleshing the medium/large beaver.  Now keep in mind, this is only my SECOND time fleshing!!  Be easy on me!  :)

First few passes aren't too bad.  I'm guessing it'll take me a bit longer than the first kit I did, but I'm feeling pretty confident.  Well come to find out, that's because I started on the side, at one of the back legs.  For those that don't know, this is one of the easiest parts to flesh off of any size beaver.  I quickly decide that I'm going to by-pass the bottom portion, where the tail meets, and move my way towards the head.  "This should put me at a decent place the time he's done pulling the others off the boards," I thought to myself.  

I make it to the head and I'm struggling a bit.  The clamp is popping off the beam, my hands are sliding off the knife, and my darn hair is in my face!  NOT TO MENTION, I now have someone looking over my shoulder!  I'm hearing a small amount of scoffing behind me, as he feels as though he has won, but I'm not ready to give it up yet!

Five minutes or so go by and now I'm really struggling.  This darn beaver is NOT working with me!  I notice David has reached into the box of gloves and is giving subtle hints that my time is up.  After a bit of frustration, I make a motion with the knife, as he sneers, realizing I'm going to pass it off.  "Don't worry, this is between you and me.  No one will have to know you didn't finish."  HA, yeah right.  I can read right through that grin!  But at this point, if I don't pass off the knife my "feel good" attitude regarding beaver, fleshing, and trapping in general, may plummet!  David suits up and takes over.

After finishing the fleshing job of beaver #1, (he did work up a sweat by the way) it's time to board.  At this point I've regained feeling in my hands, and I've worked up a bit of confidence to request another shot at beaver #2.  Needless to say, this one (a kit) was quite a bit easier.  I was able to finish this "little feller" (as my son was calling him) on my own and didn't do too bad of a job either.  We boarded this guy, and set the two up to dry for a few days.  

Once again, I have to say I was surprised by the work and effort that goes into this entire process.  It's quite easy for someone to assume there can't be much to trapping other than making a few sets here and there.  I personally have gained a lot of respect for the sport, and most definitely think highly of those that do more than just set the traps!  I'm just beginning, but I definitely see myself gradually making steps to not only improve my ability, but my knowledge as well!

So, that's MY side of tonight's story.  Do keep in mind there are no photos to accompany this "story."  (Someone apparently doesn't know how to run the camera.)  Because of that, this could be just a STORY as there is NO proof that my struggles truly occurred.  So I'll let you all decide whether this is just a "feel good David" post, or a sad, sore girl, that's going to be a bit more careful she doesn't eat her words the next time around.  ;)

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Ashley, tell "all thumbs" he needs to learn how to operate a camera! We are not going to believe a word from him without pictures!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

davidlt89

QuoteWe are not going to believe a word from him without pictures!
I have not even posted yet and I am already a "story teller":grin: I thought we were tighter than that gentlemen;)

Not much for me to add, Ashlee has already "ratted" herself out! I would say she explained it pretty well! Kits flesh easy, that's all there is to it! start moving up in size, things get more "difficult", so to speak.

For all intensive purposes, I wanted here to try something bigger than a kit, but was not going to throw down a blanket beaver. To me, this is what makes or breaks a trapper, the work after. sure, setting the line is not all that easy either, but it is more fun than fleshing. If Ashlee can get this down and like it, the rest is cake.

I did hear more on the "hurting wrists" tonight, let it slide!!! seems to be blisters around her thumbs, I showed her my calluses!!!!

She might just have what it takes, we will see!! and by the way, no pictures because I was "doing stuff" also. 4 beaver and a raccoon to come off the boards. Plus I finished the beaver she started, might fast I might add:grin: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Long ago and far away, Jay Edwards gave me the makings of a muzzle loader including a 42" octagon barrel that had to be "draw filed". I actually enjoyed the work, (not really dissimilar from fleshing a hide as a matter of fact), but when I was finished my thumbs were killing me! When I told Jay about it, he belly-laughed! Said he had forgotten all about having "out of shape thumbs"!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

Quote from: drinksgin;135992Ashley, tell "all thumbs" he needs to learn how to operate a camera! We are not going to believe a word from him without pictures!

I have tried, multiple times!  I'm not sure if the "malfunction" is with the camera or the operator himself!  There seems to be a bit of a common theme with these mishaps!  Guns that are not sighted properly, the camera doesn't take pictures itself, holes appear while skinning...  One can only assume there's more to these stories!  

Quote from: davidlt89;135994I did hear more on the "hurting wrists" tonight, let it slide!!! seems to be blisters around her thumbs, I showed her my calluses!!!!

Calluses?  I didn't see any calluses!  

And you "let it slide?"  Pretty sure I was told to "suck it up!"  No?  Don't minimize the "sympathy" you clearly DID NOT show!  :stare:

Tags: