Military brass

Started by sakorick, January 16, 2016, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I used to hate fussing with military brass because of the primer crimp. Crimped primers are to prevent a primer being blown out of a case and getting jammed up in the action of a fighting weapon. I used a RCBS pocket swager which really didn't work consistently. Then I purchased a Lyman case prep machine as they come with both a small and large primer pocket reamer which handles both 5.56 and 30-'06/308 cases. The reamer zips the crimp out fast and easy. I just loaded 100 rounds of 155 Gr Palma bullets using once fired Lake City brass and the primer issue is history. The good thing is that once the lip is gone it's gone and it really is worth the trouble as military brass seems to last forever. They are a bit thicker than commercial brass so work up those hot loads with care.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I'm using the RCBS swaging tools in 223 flavour;

and

neither of them have caused any 'consistency' problem that I'm aware of but then I don't have mixed lots of 223 brass, it was all Federal.
The "Primer Pocket Swager Bench Tool"  is quite painless to use and throughput is acceptable, certainly quicker to use than the press dies!

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

The new stuff looks like a winner. The die I was using was the model C  or something like that for 30 caliber only. I chucked it in a rage one day and went back to my electric drill!:Banghead:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah the bottom tool is quite good on a run of brass.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: