called one in

Started by davidlt89, February 11, 2016, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Got up this morning and noticed a ton of fresh tracks down by the bait in the new snow we got the other day. I figured I would try the call before work since I had a few free minutes.

I let the call ring for a bit and shut it off. I waited about 10 min then put the call away and got my gun unloaded. I shut the window and read a text from a friend. When I was done reading I looked out the window and there he was.

He had made his way up the field and decided to hit the bait. I got the gun loaded and window open and got set up. He was behind the pile and a hard target. I let it fly  and got him in the front leg almost taking it off. He took of to my left and did zig zags until laying in the snow looking back at the house. Since I like to pull the trigger I let him have it again........game over.

I skinned him tonight and will take care of him as soon as I get back from hockey sunday. I did run into a problem...one of the shots went down and severed the tail bone. When I stripped the tail, half the bone stayed in. Should be a trick getting it split in the lower half and getting out the bone. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

Stupid question is that a fox or coyote? To me by color he looks like a fox but by size looks like a coyote. Need to get my laptop up and running again instead of just the phone screen. Good shooting.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

It's a fox, farmboy.

Good luck on that tail! You're experienced enough now not to need any advice on it. Again, good luck!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

farmboy

It sure looks big for a fox at least around here but it has that beautiful red fur on it!

davidlt89

Paul, you over estimate me. I will take any advice out there. It is not going to be easy to get that bone out of there.
Farmboy, picture is decieving, bet this guy only weighs 15lbs. He is however a nice "cherry read". God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Do you have a "tail skinner/stripper"? If not, I strongly suggest you get one. Here's an example of one;  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Metal-Tail-Stripper/1363746.uts
Here's a demonstration of a different one in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6OSAd1E9oA

If you start where the bullet severed the tail and treat that as the 'root', a stripper should get the rest off without ripping off the end.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Yes...I have a tail stripper, couldnt live without one. The trick will be holding the bone so i can use the stripper. Should be ok but you know how easy tails can rip. God bless.

Tags: