Building a new reloading room

Started by farmboy, March 30, 2019, 06:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

In the process of moving and I got a room in the basement framed for a reloading and gun room. A few things that I am doing. It is located inside the basement with no windows in the room. I am lining the room on the outside with 1/2 inch OSB then a layer of 5/8 fire rated gypsum board on the inside and a other layer on the outside. I am going to put safe and sound insulation in the walls and ceiling. Also I am going to see if I can get a couple of sprinkler s in the room. A soild maple 1 7/8 thick with a commercial door lock on it. The door is also fire rated. Basically I am going to make a set of kitchen cupboards with every other base one missing. I am thinking about making the bench  just over four feet high. And put lockable doors on the base ones. I also think I should wire a bunch of plugs seems like many.new reloading items are electronic. The reason for the high base cabinet s if I have many of the six panel maple doors and I was thinking about cutting them so the panel looks right. I thought I could adjust the height of the chair. Bad idea? Any other ideas or must haves

recoil junky

First, welcome back!! Glad you are getting around again .

A reloading/gun room is a personal thing, but a lot of storage is always a plus and doors on cabinets keep things out of sight plus you can lock them.

A double layer of 1/2 gypsum may have a better fire rating than 1/2 OSB and 5/8 gypsum. May cost less too. The ceiling I'd do a double layer of 1/2 as well. More sound deadening built in that way.

Where my room has concrete on two sides, the double layer of 1/2 isn't needed, but the ceiling and the other two walls will definitely be doubled.

1/2 inch is way easier to handle too, that 5/8 is heavy as ba dead bear!

Lots of outlets and lights are a plus, easy to do with new construction.

Can you draw us a picture of your layout?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

farmboy

Iikely better to take a picture. I will do that on Tuesday and see if I can post it.

farmboy

Yes more lights that would be a good idea there is one there but a few extras cost nothing now basically.

farmboy

Lol I do wonder if I should even bother it has only been a month since I could shoulder a rifle. Not sure I can even shoot anymore. Lol not sure I ever could so it may be worth it anyhow.

Jamie.270

I would do it if I were you farmboy.

It seems to me a little extra motivation and sense of accomplishment would go a long way.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

recoil junky

Quote from: farmboy;152846Lol I do wonder if I should even bother it has only been a month since I could shoulder a rifle. Not sure I can even shoot anymore. Lol not sure I ever could so it may be worth it anyhow.

It'll be worth it, trust me.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Farmboy, do whatever you can now while you still can. I've wasted too many opportunities from waiting and regretted it later. At this stage of my life & don't lose sleep over it. Life is always better if you keep following your dreams to the end and never give up.   .......Paul H

sakorick

Lights and more lights! elect outlets all over. Cleaning bench. That's it. Welcome back.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Yes a cleaning bench a buddy has that I never had room for that in the past. Much better than the dining room table!!

farmboy

I get to learn things all over took me awhile to put a boot back into a gun! Got it figured out. Funny things you took for granted all become new. Look at it like a small child in the world of discovery!

Tags: