Alaska Trip 2021

Started by Nelsdou, October 25, 2021, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelsdou

My wife and I had the opportunity to visit Alaska this past September and it was one of our best trips ever. Earlier in the year when we planned the trip, Canada was closed so the only way for us was to fly in and out via Anchorage. As part of a group, we did a seven day overland tour starting in Anchorage, traveled north to Talkeetna, then further north by railway to Denali National Park, then south by bus to Willow and Girdwood, and the last day to Whittier to cruise Prince William Sound, then finally by bus to Anchorage to fly home.

Many stops and a good amount of free time to do things on our own as well. I'd guess my wife's favorite experience was cuddling the Alaskan sled dog puppies at Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennel at Willow. Mine was interacting with the various locals I met along the way, many interesting characters that live here!

The furthest north we got was Healy, which is a mining town south of Fairbanks. Healy is the site of the 49 Free State Brewery where we enjoyed an evening of food and drink.

Got lucky on the fifth day and saw the peak of Denali from Mary Carey's coffee shop on Highway 3. The clouds really seem to stick to the peak at that high elevation.

The coldest weather we felt was on the Prince William Sound cruise viewing glaciers entering the bay. We did manage to catch glimpses of a few orcas breaching the open water.

The only bummer was not connecting with Gitano as he was on travels of his own when we were there. Maybe another time?
  p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Yikes! The Prince William Sound picture looks cold and choppy! Nasty weather to out on The Sound in.

Bummed that we couldn't connect. We were heading out on our road-trip to Utah literally THE weekend you guys were arriving.:( I am glad "yous guys" had a good time though. Maybe we'll make it 'next' time.:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: