New paddlefish record

Started by sakorick, March 23, 2022, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) congratulates Jim Dain of Pittsfield, Ill. for snagging a monster 140-pound, 10-ounce paddlefish March 18 at the Lake of the Ozarks. The latest record breaks the previous record of 140-pounds, 9-ounces set in 2015 on Table Rock Lake.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Big sucker. Sure beats a sardine.    :eek:.....Paul H .....

Jamie.270

What a hog.

Shame he can't take any roe home with him.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

He can take the roe AS LONG AS he doesn't take it out of the fish first. In other words, if he takes the fish home whole, he can have the roe. However, once home, the roe cannot leave his property. LEGALLY, he can't go next door with a jar of caviar to share with friends.

Big fish! We'll be fishing that lake in three weeks.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;156401He can take the roe AS LONG AS he doesn't take it out of the fish first. In other words, if he takes the fish home whole, he can have the roe. However, once home, the roe cannot leave his property. LEGALLY, he can't go next door with a jar of caviar to share with friends.

Big fish! We'll be fishing that lake in three weeks.

Paul
I don't think he has to worry about Illinois enforcing Missouri's game laws.
I wouldn't.

Still, it's an amazing catch.

Keep us posted on your trip Paul.  Last year's paddlefish post(s) were enlightening indeed.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

gitano

While the angler is from Illinois, he caught the fish in Missouri. Missouri laws apply.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;156408While the angler is from Illinoise, he caught the fish in Missouri. Missouri laws apply.

Paul
Once he takes the fish home to Illinois, with the roe intact, then cleans the fish and removes the roe, I don't think he needs to worry about IL LEOs busting him for taking a jar of caviar over to his neighbor.

I know once I got it home, the only answer I would give would be: "what roe?"
:jumpingsmiley:

gitano

Right on. However, I wouldn't assume Ill. doesn't have similar laws. Black market dealing in paddlefish roe has driven the paddlefish to extinction locally. Its current distribution is probably only 25% of what it once was. Plus, this is a 'special' fish. "People" will KNOW about it, AND the angler, before he even gets home. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he got a 'visit' from the local constabulary shortly after arriving home.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

If it's that big of a concern then they should shut down fishing for it.
Completely.

Arresting/citing/fining someone for sharing their good fortune with a neighbor is worse than selling the roe IMO.

gitano

Lemme 'splain...

First, as demonstrated disastrously in Africa, and in some isolated places in the States, when you don't let The People have access to a resource, they lose ALL interest. Then, efforts to engender support to save a critically endangered species, fall on deaf ears. Simultaneously, if there is a commercial market for the resource (ivory or roe, let's say), the criminals continue to take and the public has no interest in 'the problem', because it's not "theirs".

Second, due to the value of paddlefish roe, (about $35/ounce), AND since there is more than 15 lbs of roe in a 50# fish,  (more than $8400), AND since the possession limit is two fish; requiring the fish to remain whole, lets honest people keep fish, while not allowing dishonest people to strip row from snagged fish and throw the body back in the water. Which is exactly what was done for years leading to the crash of the populations.

Most places that used to have paddlefish ARE closed. However, there are a few places, like Lake of the Ozarks, where The People CAN fish for them. But... They can NOT make money doing it. The truth is, the VAST majority of people 1) don't know how to prepare caviar, and 2) wouldn't eat it if they did.

You know me well enough to know that I don't defend gubment fascism. These regs are protecting a resource until its numbers can be rebuilt in most if its original range. And... There is NO ONE that likes caviar more than me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

"There is NO ONE that likes caviar more than me." Well I kind of like it too! Those 12 jars are gone! This year we have modern side looking fish finders......I am leaning forward in the foxhole!!:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

That's why I emphasized "more". There are people that like it as much as I do. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: