First Time Shooting

Started by Marlin917VS, October 17, 2004, 06:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlin917VS

I was wondering what was the first gun everyone in here shot.  Not encluding a bb-gun or anything like that.  Be specific.  Caliber, manufacture, model, when, how old were you?  Just though it would be interesting to see what kinds of guns people started out on.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

12 gauge

The first gun i know i ever shot was a 20 gauge shotgun my father had bought me to go squirrel hunting...I remember always asking him "Is it gonna hurt?" because of the recoil lol! :rolleyes:I went from shooting the 20 gauge to shooting the 410 and then the 12 gauge, then i went on to the bow and arrow, the 30-30, my dad's AK-47, his .45 semi-auto, and then gonna be his traditional muzzleloader...

Well really i was shooting my bow at first, but then i had a recurve, it's draw weight was maybe 5 pounds, but that is a lot for a little 5 year old ya know what i am saying? I was shooting a bow once i turned 5, then as the years went by, i got better, but my parents decided to take me off the bow and have me hunt with the 20 gauge instead, then when i got  a little older, then i would hunt with the bow and arrow...

Which i am now...

I hope that's what ya looking for...

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Marlin917VS

Thats interesting, going back to your roots with a bow and arrow.  My first time shooting was when I was five.  I went up to my uncles camp where I now deer hunt on the first day of deer season here.  Its like a 2 hour drive and me and my dad and my uncle and cousins all went up for a weekend during the summer.  I shot a .22 rimfire rifle first.  Then a 22 pistol and then a 25 auto pistol.  I was also all scared because I though the 25 would kick a lot for a pistol since the only thing I had shot before it was a 22.  It didnt though.  The weekend turned out to be one of the best I've had.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Vacant

I started off with a Marlin youth single shot 22 if I remember right. That would have been when I was around 5. I dont really remember the rest because moved around a lot at the time... but I ended up catching the fever when I was around 7 or 8 and got into serious hunting when I was around 10. Deer hunting, squirrels, grouse and pheasant.

Randy

12 gauge

Quote from: Marlin917VSThats interesting, going back to your roots with a bow and arrow. My first time shooting was when I was five. I went up to my uncles camp where I now deer hunt on the first day of deer season here. Its like a 2 hour drive and me and my dad and my uncle and cousins all went up for a weekend during the summer. I shot a .22 rimfire rifle first. Then a 22 pistol and then a 25 auto pistol. I was also all scared because I though the 25 would kick a lot for a pistol since the only thing I had shot before it was a 22. It didnt though. The weekend turned out to be one of the best I've had. Later
yeah i guess you can say i was born to hunt with a bow and arrow lol!

But hunting with a bow and arrow is my number one priority, i do hunt with muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles...

The strongest shotgun i shot was a 12 gauge (my name lol) the strongest rifle i ever shot was my 30-30...i really hunt more with a shotgun than i do with the rifle...The strongest handgun i shot was the .45 semi-auto, and that didn't kick too bad, it was loud, but didn't kick hard...

When i shot the .45 the gun came up maybe a half and inch, but by the second shot i quit because i didn't have ear plugs and my ears were really ringing! lol!

I am going to start muzzleloading from my dads traditional muzzleloader, 50 caliber with 100 grains of powder and a 250 grain bullet..

So i think i will put a hurtin on some deer this season!

G00D LUCK TH1S SEAS0N AND G0D BLESS! :D

Vacant

good luck hunting with your muzzleloader 12, it looks like so much fun... and so old school. I've shot a few ranging from a .32cal at rabbits to a .54cal at milkjugs. They sure are fun...

Randy

12 gauge

Yeah they are...

And what's good is that my dad's traditional muzzleloader is passed down to ME and my GENERATION! Like i said before i am honored to use this muzzleloader, because my dad shot it when he was my age and so on, he let my mom use it, and me! No one else...

So it's OUR muzzleloader now..

I just can't wait til this season! October 30th; i am gonna kill some deer this year!

I have yet killed a deer with my bow, but i have had 3 shots...

i missed a doe, i missed a spike and i skimmed a button head's back, but not enough for a spine shot, the arrow just cut him and stuck into the ground..

Anyway, my dad is teaching me how to reload, clean and use it because traditionals are different from the modern versions...like the knights...

I forgot what this one is...but i do know it is a .50 caliber....

I will post a picture on it as soon as i can..

Good luck this season and god bless :D

Shotgunhemi

My first time shooting was with my first rifle i bought. It was my model 94 Ranger 30-30 Winchester. Here in Australia you have to be 18 years or older to own guns. So at the start of the year i recieved my shooting licence and really got into the world of shooting.:D  Also just started hunting too.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

12 gauge

Quote from: ShotgunhemiMy first time shooting was with my first rifle i bought. It was my model 94 Ranger 30-30 Winchester. Here in Australia you have to be 18 years or older to own guns. So at the start of the year i recieved my shooting licence and really got into the world of shooting.:D Also just started hunting too.
Oh so your parents didn't have any firearms?

Because the law over here in Virginia USA is the same, 18 years old in order to purchase a rifle or shotgun and 21 in order to purchase a handgun.

But you can shoot them if your parents own them and allow you to use them, btw, what do you hunt out there in Australia?

I know Australia is known as the outback, and isn't kangaroos a protected animal or something? What do you hunt there?

I know there are tons of other animals, such as snakes, other reptiles, and kangaroos..

But i am curious..

Good luck hunting and god bless :D

Shotgunhemi

Hey 12 gauge. My dad owned a few model 94 winchesters(30-30s and 44mags) but he sold them before i was born. Dad isnt really into shooting and hunting anymore but i sure am:D  Down here in Australia the ferals or pests we hunt are mainly rabbits, foxes, feral cats, pigs and goats. Our game animals consist of 6 types of deer. Down here in victoria the main deer hunted is samba. I joined the Deerstalkers club down here just recently and went on my first hunt a month back. I didnt get one but a friend and very experienced deer hunter got 3 in two days, hows that huh?:) I loved deer hunting and will be going out again next week i think. Neway as for the reptiles yeah we got heaps of snakes and lizards. Ive got 9 bluetongue lizards as pets. Their cool. O yeah and as far as the roos go you can hunt or 'cull' them down here with an appropriate permit of course.

God Bless mate;)
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

12 gauge

that's cool.

Good luck hunting!!

sounds like you are having fun shootin eh?

God bless :D

Shotgunhemi

Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

12 gauge

that's good to hear :D

A moment of silence for our dear, beloved crowbar...

Rest in peace my friend..:(

god bless :D

BBALLHUNTRESS

the first gun i shot was a Remington 20 gauge......i was so scared of the kick of that gun. i was 9 and man i was freaked out. i was scared to shoot! lol good thing i got over that because when i got my first turkey, it felt good, yet my shoulder was bruised! lol now i shoot my 12 gauge and i absolutley love that gun. its a black remington and it shoots real good. i've shot many good things with that gun and plan to take a lot more:D

*~*Alicia*~*
Basketball tournament: $300:p
New outfit: $60:)
My new mustang convertible: $18000:eek:
Hunting with my dad: priceless:D

12 gauge

Yeah i used to be afraid of the kick, now i just let it be..

If the gun is going to kick, then it is going to kick..

Good luck hunting and god bless :D

Tags: