1 (12.5%)
immons 4-12 or 6-18 (upper models)
3 (37.5%)
eupold VX-II 4-12, 40mm or 50mm
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: May 14, 2005, 11:12:25 PM

Kanibal

Howdy, I currently have a gun deal in the makes for a nice varmint rifle in 204 Ruger, but still need a good scope to go with it. So again I need your help to decide. I am wondering which scope out of the list you think would be best for ranges up to and around 400 yards, but on average 200-300 yards and which magnification would be best suited for the 204 cartridge. Also which scope brand you like best. I was thinking either a scope in 4-12 or 6-18 or somewhat there abouts. Thanks for helping me decide.

Also if you wouldnt mind stating what would be the advantage of a larger objective lense that would be appreciated.
-Richard

Big Red Trike

Since the recoi is low and the majority of shooting done during high levels of light, you maybe able to save some cash and be very happy with a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 which are the best deal in scope world right now....or the Sightron SII is supposed to be a smokin scope as well.

All Leupold products are very high priced in Canada and offer no visiual advantage over the Bushnell 3200's (and cost half as much) and no rainguard (which actually works).  The experts (?) say the Leupold VXII's are the only ones worth using.

I think I would look at a scope with a 30mm tube and 50mm bell in a 6 - 18....if possible.....my buddy has one on his T/C Omega (Tasco Titan 4 x 12 x 50, i think) it is awesome. Bright, clear and fairly cheap now. He likes the field of view so much he took off his Nikon Monarch on his 280 rem and replaced it with another Titan.

Larger objective means a larger field of view at high magnification.

Noticibly brighter with a 30mm tube.

Because inorder for a larger objective to reach its potential and allow more light, thus brighter, it needs a larger tube diameter.  

I shoot 3x9x40 Bushnell 3200 its on my 7mm. I own a 4.5x14x40 AO Simmons ATV(New model is called an Outfitter). Its on a .243. Low recoil very clear, bright, good x hair definition, etc.

Just some food for thought. If you like Leupold take a look at (not that much more $$$ but way better scopes) Swarovski, Kahles, Nightforce, Zeiss....according to the experts (?)

PLEASE NOTE: I AM A BANG FOR THE BUCK KINDA GUY AND NOTHING IS BETTER THAN MY 3200.

Lee

calestus

Bushnell makes a 10x target in their 3200 line that I have shot with and can recommend.  That is if you dont mind a fixed magnification.  The next scope I am buying is a Super Sniper 10x from SWFA.

I currently am in love with my Zeiss conquest but they are a little spendy and IMO don't offer huge gains over the 3200 series (I'm not a leopold fan so i won't mention those).

A friend is about to buy a Burris fullfield II so if you'd like i will report on that when he gets it.

I also owned a Bushnell Banner 6-18 that I didn't like at all. It was blurry at the edges and you had to get terribly close to the eyepeice at the high magnifications. Would not recommend that one.

I had a Simmons pro hunter that I liked and it was fine on a 30-06 until the rifle was dropped from about 3ft :( that scope was about 6 yrs old.  I havent looked or used the new ones.

If you want to spend the money a Zeiss really is top notch.  Their resolution, clarity, and light transmission are outstanding.  If you want good optics and don't want to blow the bank then the Bushnell 3200 and the Burris scopes won't dissapoint.

Kanibal

Here are the prices as listed in the United States at a local outdoor store.

Leupold VX-I 4-12..........................................$250

Leupold VX-II 6-18.........................................$430

Leupold VX-II 4-12.........................................$400

Bushnell 4200................................................$400-500

Bushnell 3200................................................$200-400

Burris Fullfield 4.5-14......................................$400

Simmons 4-12 or 6-18....................................$100-200

Zeiss Conquest Series.....................................$500-800

I also like the Sightron scopes, have read some good things, but can find no pricing info or a place that sells them.

I will spend up to and around 400 dollars, but would rather spend around 200-300 dollars and I just spent 500 on the gun so dont have a lot of money right now, so no Zeiss although i know they are great scopes.  The Burris also offers the ballistic plex which sounds cool.
-Richard

calestus

Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x Target
  http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=129037

All Others Including Sightron
  http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=10&Categoryid=15281&categorystring=657***700***11392***11396***15273***

I got a 3-9x40 Z-Plex Conquest off ebay for 350...patience saved me about 100 bucks...It was brand new.

Let me know if I can look anything else up for ya.

calestus

Brithunter

Hi Kanibal,

Now I have not seen any of these scopes, e-mailed and enquiry about them but have not had a reply yet but it's only been a day so far ;) but take a look. They have been getting good reviews for what that's worth :confused: but there seems to be quite a few satified customer reviews as well, again for what that's worth. Ever know folks admit they got it wrong on a purchase and let others know? Except us of course because were just perfect :D :rolleyes: :p

The scope look interesting especially for long range small varmints so take a look :-

http://muelleroptics.com/index.htm

Edit:-

Mueller replied to my enquiry, it seems that they do not have an importer in the UK :( so the search continues.
Go Get them Floyd!

Kanibal

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I am going to end up getting a nice inexpensive Simmons for now since I just spent 500 on the gun and my wallet is getting thin.  But, when I get paid again I am going to buy a 17HMR and put the Simmons on that and then buy a more expensive scope to put on my CZ Varmint, but for now I will use the Simmons on my CZ.  

Big Red Trike what Simmons scope do you have?  I am wondering what would be a good inexpensive model?  I want either the 4-12 or 4-14 power.  I dont think that the 6-18 will give me much of an advantage over the lower magnification scopes.  Oh and where can I find the model that you have?
-Richard

Big Red Trike

I purchased a Simmons 4.5 x 14 x 40 AO (ATV Rifle Scope) and it currently is used on my H&R 243 Heavy Barrel. I purchased off of Ebay.......the new models are called the Outfitter. Here is a link to an Ebay item:

In Canada, the ATV or Outfitter retails for $289....Ebay is maybe $85 US + shipping......very inexpensive for LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Check out Elk Ridge Shooting Supply: its a store, selling new stuff.....

http://stores.ebay.ca/id=10313041&ssPageName=L2

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31714&item=7149696773&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31714&item=7150018598&rd=1

Now when I bought my scope last spring, when I got it, all my windage and elevation turrets were maxed (no more adjustment). I installed the scope went to bore sight and zero, found the scope lenses were cracked on the inside. I called Simmons of Canada and they shipped me a brand new scope free of charge (lifetime warranty) no questions asked....I thought that was pretty smokin as I have had to get warranty for scopes through Bushnell and Tasco (that was a nightmare).

If you have anymore questions....just let me know I'll do my best.....:D

Lee

Kanibal

BRT do you think I need magnifaction along the lines of 4-14 or 6-18? I figured 4-12 would be a enough and it also comes in a shorter scope. The Simmons prohunter 4-12 AO from swfa.com is only 85 dollars. I was looking into that one.  What do you think?  The 204 Ruger is a 400 yard cartridge, at that range the bullet is 2250fps and 500 foot pounds of energy which isnt bad but I think I can hit things at 400 yards with a 4-12 power scope and therefore keep the scope size down.  What do you think?

The ATV 4-14 is 13.5 inches while the Prohunter 4-12 is 12.5 inches, so only an inch difference.  Please help my brain is about to explode!!!!!!!
-Richard

Big Red Trike

I would not worry about scope length at all and go with the one which represents the best value. I am very happy with the ATV on my .243. The 4.5x14x40 AO or the 6x18x40 AO.....400 hundred yards is a long ways away. The top end magnification is used only on the bench rest. On a 204 ruger I would not hesitate to use either one.

Maybe eye relief is different for each one, check it out....let me know

Lee

sav17

Hi All

I have two bushnell scopes a trophy 3x9x40 mounted on my savage 17hmr and recently acquired an elite 3200 in3x9x50 and find them both very good for the work I require of them for a very reasonable price,quite fancy a 4200 in a larger mag now for longer range work.
On the other side of the coin ,literally ,i also have a single mag zeiss in 6x42 excellent scope and a dokter in 2.5x10x48 once again top notch but pricey.
I have trouble faulting the 3200 in both clarity and low light performance,got me a good early morning fox with it this weekend ,what more can I say,field tested and it did its job;) .
I have to admit that I dont match some of the ranges that you lads seem to shoot at ,mind you, 200 yards is about my limit:o so maybe for the 300 to 400 yarders you might need a little more power;)
Pics of the fox and scope in varmint predator(223 first victim):rolleyes:
keep safe...........................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Kanibal

Today I ordered a Simmons Prohunter 4-12 power 40mm from SWFA.com for 88 dollars which is very inexpensive for a scope, but I think it will serve me very well for the time being and when I have enough money for a nicer scope like a Burris or Leupold I will buy one of those and put the Simmons on my 17 HMR.  

I was also glad to find that Burris now makes CZ scope rings and I also bought a pair of those for 25 dollars.  They are a lot better than the rings that come with the CZ's.  I think Warne makes the CZ rings.  The new Burris rings have a nice Opti-lok system that holds onto your scop nice and tight like.  

I have owned a few Simmons and for the price they are wonderful.  Perfect scopes for rimfires and lighter recoiling cartridges.  My friend has even used a Simmons on his semi auto 30-06 and has had great success and not a problem in fifteen years of service.  Not bad at all for under one hundred dollars.
-Richard

M1Garand

I put a Weaver Grand Slam, 4.5 X 14 on my .204 and it's a great scope you may want to take a look at also.

Tags: