Best Ammo for Short Barreled 45 ACP?

Started by 147 Grain, August 19, 2005, 06:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

147 Grain

Not sure as to what self defense ammo is best for a 3 1/4" barreled 45 ACP revolver.  

I've been considering 230-gr. +P rounds like those from Ranger T @ 990 fps (4" barrel) or Double Taps 230-gr. +P @ 1,010 fps (4" barrel).

Question:

Do you feel that +P 45 ammo needs longer barrels to burn or will I still be a little ahead (with a 3 1/4" barrel) when compared to standard 230-gr. HP ammo?

Thank-you in advance of your advice!
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Alboy

There are folks here that are going to get real technical pretty soon. I will throw in my 2 cents now.

If carrying for defense pack the gun with ammo as powerful as you can still be accurate with. My 45 acp pokes along at 800-850 with factory loads. It does plenty of work when it is needed and I do not want to put up with the extra recoil and report for a little more speed.

On the other hand if you fell you need the extra power load em up as long as the gun will hold up for it. Full strength loads will always provide more energy versus any other milder load in the same situation.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

m gardner

I figured that the 45 ACP made it's reputation with 230 grain hardball and that's what I always kept them loaded with. The momentum of that 230 grain bullet and the frontal area is what makes it a stopper. Make sure it doesn't recoil so badly that you can't make fast follow up shots. And remember that if you ever have to use it to defend yourself, you may have to explain to the jury why you use the ammo you use. It's better if it's plain jane. God bless and good shooting.

Mark

gitano

QuoteIt's better if it's plain jane.
Is absolutely correct, and "plain jane" will do just fine. It won't be the 'machine' that 'fails'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

A_Swede_17_1911

The 230 grain FMJ or hard ball, usally works the best out of a 5" barrel.  I know some people have  a preference for heavier bullet, cause I do too, to a point.  I perfer 230 grain loads in a JHP for my .45 defense load, only because if they expand great if not, well they will peform like the ball ammo.   I suggest you might want to try the 185 grain +p loads to see if you can get a little more speed out of em, say to the 900 fps range, that would work great.  I would put in in around the same area as the .40 S&W but with a larger frontal area.

If you have a cronograph, you can shoot some different loads, to see if there is one that will offer you the bullet weight and speed that you want.

147 Grain

How do you think the 230-gr. +P Rangers (990 fps in 4" pipe) will perform in a 3 1/4" barrel?
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Rick

Can anyone cite a single actual court case where the type of ammo used was brought up?  Even in the unlikely event that it came up, the response of "I asked a policeman what I should buy" or "I asked the guy at the gun shop" ought to be sufficient.

If I have to shoot someone, it will be because I am in fear of my life or the life of someone else and I will want the best possible ammo - and it ain't hardball.

Alboy

Gotta do a little research but the simple answer is yes. Hardball is not the given answer for court but NOT using handloads is a plus in self defense. The purchase of readily available factory ammo (your Choice) stops early on the attack of a "cowboy", Shootist" just looking for a chance to lay low the bad guys.

Also a good point. After the smoke has cleared and the conflict is settled CALL YOUR LAWYER, clear your weapon, place it in plain sight, have your hands in sight, and be non-combative when police secure the area. This will very likely include your being handcuffed, do no resist it. They do not know who is the good guy / bad guy when showing up. When talking to them identify your self, be in fear for your life, be respectful and shut up.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

rockinbbar

OK,

I had the question come up once as a law officer...

This is, mind you back in the days where law enforcement was making the transition from nearly ALL cops carrying 38 spl. 158 LRN bullets to bullets that did WAY more terminal damage.

The way to answer the court about using hollow point bullets is as follows...

You wanted to stop the bad guy as fast as you could, in his tracks.

You are concerned about bullet pass-through injuring an innocent bystander. (A hollow point  bullet tends to not exit as often as a hardball, or LRN bullet)
You don't want the bullet to exit, just stop the bad guy...

You don't really care if the bad guy died due to your use of hollow point bullets, you just wanted him to stop. (If you are justified in using deadly force, do so with the utmost of your abilty!)

The thinking that hardball, or LRN bullets are better to defend in a court of law is very ancient in the way the real world is. If you are justfied in shooting a bad guy, you are justified....The use of which ammo makes no difference. It is just a ploy by lawyers to get you to trip-up on testimony....

If you use hardball, or LRN ammo, & it passes through the bad guy & hits an innocent bystander, you WILL be prosecuted for THAT.

Just my thoughts on the subject....;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

MY personal preference for self-defense ammo is the Speer Gold Dot ammo.  Whether it be 9mm, 38/357 or 45.........it is definitely a "Flying ashtray"!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

m gardner

Thanks rockinbbar. I've been leary of shooting anyone since I did have to defend myself (in New York State) and was told by the police to just leave because if I pressed charges I'd probably be in trouble too becuase I used excessive force. It was so dark I still don't know what the guy looked like and it happened so fast I couldn't have brought a firearm into play if I wanted to. Good thing I'm big and well disciplined. Bad thing for him. God bless .

Mark

Tags: