The One That Got Away

Started by Outlander, November 04, 2004, 11:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlander

Well it is daybreak and I off to the stand.
It is a nice crisp morning about 37 with no wind.
I get about halfway to the stand and stop and think maybe I will try a different location today.
There is so much to eat with all the rain we have had the deer are not really interested in the corn.
So I back track to the other side of my property.
I keep hearing rustling through the leaves so I stop and crouch lower to the ground than I am already.
I scan the area I see nothing but squirells out and about.
So I keep going, a few paces and stop to listen.
I hear it a couple more times but again all I see are the squirells.
I finaly get to where I am going well where I felt comfortable and I sit for about 45 min. deciding if I should try and scale a tree or not or just stay at ground level.
So I spot a good tree about 30 yards from me and I slowly stand up to get a better look at it while I lean on the tree I was crouched by.
I see something out of the corner of my eye moving stealthly through the trees.
I slowly turn my head and there he is a 9 point buck I figure about 200 pounds.
He looks straight at me and I am thinking well he's going to bolt out of here.
We look at each other for about 2 seconds and he trots ahead about 10 yards all the while just hanging in the brush so I can't get a good clear bead on him of course.
He looks around and again he looks straight at me I have my 30/30 Win. about halfway up and stop.
He trots up some more well now he is right in front of me I would say about 20 yards.
By this time the gun is up and the safety off I am waiting for the shot.
Yet he stands behind more brush where I can just make him out but not really a good shot.
Well he stands there for like 5 min. I guess pondering where he was headed or what I was doing.lol
So the Buck Fever kicks in and I start to feel my pulse increase as I think I am going to nail me a 9 pointer literately right in front of me.
I start to pull the trigger and right before the hammer kicks in the trigger makes a very subtle click.
Well he bolted a fraction in the instant before I pulled the trigger.
He got away needless to say, I could have not missed him by much.
I stood there dumbfounded that I missed a 9 pointer almost close enough for me to hit him over the head with the gun.lol
All the while he is running off as I stand there asking myself how I missed him.
So I go to the spot he was at and only find urine.
So I am sure I got close but not on the mark.
To shoot or not to shoot is the real question here.
Sometimes when you think it is just to good well it really isn't.lol
Ahhhh the joys of hunting, some you win some you don't.
He will be back though I am sure and we will meet again, though this time I plan on putting him the freezer.
Unusual for me to take a shot I am not 110% sure of but there again he was soooooooo close.lol
Oh well there is always next time.:D
"Freedom Is Not Free. Always Be Thankful For Those That Have Fallen For What We Have Today"

Antler3

Very interesting story. Yep that's the way it goes sometimes but awww ain't it fun !! I'd rather have an encounter like that one as to not see one. Hang in there you'll get 'em. Good hunting !
ANTLER 3

Outlander

Quote from: Antler3Very interesting story. Yep that's the way it goes sometimes but awww ain't it fun !! I'd rather have an encounter like that one as to not see one. Hang in there you'll get 'em. Good hunting !
Oh yea I am in it for the long haul.
I think me and this buck now have an understanding.lol
I love a good hunt nothing beats trying to outsmart the prey.:D
I seen a few doe this morning of course I did not shoot one being I am on the hunt for the buck now.lol
The buck is eluding me now, I am afraid that was my one perfect shot to have.
Oh well, let the hunting begin.:D
"Freedom Is Not Free. Always Be Thankful For Those That Have Fallen For What We Have Today"

Antler3

First muzzleloading season this year I was easing along heading to a ground blind...topped this little knoll, thought I checked everything out real good. Took couple steps and he blowed at me. I still couldn't see 'em. about a second later he blowed again and wheeled around and when he did I caught just a glimpse of antler just enough to know he was a buck. He took about three or four leeps up the hill and turned broadside and looked back I was on him but his headgear was behind the leaves and I couldn't see how big he was. We have three point rule in place. So let 'em walk. Went back couple days later and there was two fresh scrapes. As he was heading out I grunted at him just maybe he came back to mark his territory...maybe...none the less I will be back lookin' for him. Our season (modern gun) opens the 13th. I can't wait !!!
ANTLER 3

Outlander

Yea sounds like you may have a rival there.
Good luck in the hunt.
I will post the pic of the one I am after when I get him.
I just hope someone else does not beat me to the punch or rather shot.lol
My brother in law is headed out this weekend he thinks he will get lucky.
Knowing my luck the buck will walk right up to him and nudge the gun.lol
I can say he is rather lucky for somebody who just started hunting a couple of years ago.
He shot a 12 pointer last season said he was walking along and the buck just walked out of the brush.
He said he just stood there about 6ft. away and checked him out and then brought the gun up and shot him face to face with it.
I told him he probualy killed someones pet.lol
I have no worries though this buck has been hunted before I could tell by the way it stuck to close cover and the way it looked around.
So this one will not be so easy I think.

Antler3

Good luck I hope you get him !! Stay after him sounds like you ain't got no room for mistakes !!! LOL. I'll be watching for the picture ! Good Hunting !
ANTLER 3

Tags: