Turkey Hunting Tip's

Started by buckshot roberts, February 23, 2006, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

I love to Turkey Hunt, So here are some tips that do work.
Consider these 3 things before you pull the Trigger

1. Open eyes, Shoot with both eyes open to aviold eye fatigure,impaired peripheral vision and depth percetion.your target to target transitions will be quicker as well.
2.Cheek the stock, Every hunter is vulnerable to shooing with their head up. concentrate on keeping your cheek tight to the stock,alingning your eyes down the sight.
3.Shooting solid, find a shooting position that is both comfortable and solid, a firm rest will help avoid awkward movements and flinching before you pull the trigger, hey practice this when you shooting, or patterning your shotgun, try and hold still a few min, before you pull the trigger, this will help you to be still .

Decoy's
thay all  work, I have two A jake,and hen of the SCEERY make, Why, because they are the ones I got for fathersday, I use them both , even if that old tom has a few hens with him, you set out a jake with a hen or two  
within shooting range, about 20 yards,that ole tom will get jealous,  " NOW"  it may take sometime before he is ready to pick a fight, but he will, so be very still, ;)
 always face the jake decoy towards you, an older tom will aproach the jake from the front, Yep, strut right up to him, and you can have an eazy shot at one jealous tom, :D
Now if you just use a hen decoy, just place her about 20 yards,(I've never taken a turkey under 20yrd's, man they have some eye sight) Just face the hen away from you the tom will gcome up from behind her, Yep you got another eazy shot,:D

I've done two drawings of my "AMBUSH" type kill zone,

1. Is this place your decoy beyond your position,( I have 50 yds on paper, it can be more or less, in your area thats why you need to scout around) doing this will help stop a turkey from hanging up on you, When this decoy get's his attention and it will, you have room for a very good shot, just watch him walk right into it:D

2. Workes will for me each fall, now turkeys need water, and they will come to the same spot, unless they are disturbed, (I saw some one :D summer morning when fishing, in the river, I went back the next day to look over the spot, for a good shooting area, found one,) never went back to that spot untill one week before season opened), They were watering at about 9am-10am, I had a good spot across the river bank with some old dead pines, as a blind, Turkeys will take a roundabout way to get to water, they will follow the cover as long as they can going to water, So just be set up right when they come out in the open, give them time to get out in the open and look for the one you want.
"Look A flock which has not been disturbed, feeds, roosts and waters over a small area, Now going to this spot a lot will cause turkeys to leave an area"

So be safe and good hunting,Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

dawei

Excellent advice; I use Sceery® Decoys also, the Flock of Four & the Struttin' Jake. Couple those with a Cass Creek® Gobbler Call & you got TURKEY IN THE CROCK POT!:) ;) :D
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

bowhunter 51

Sound advice Buckshot.........I'll add it to my archive............thanks.............
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: