23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

M1Garand

Quote from: LLANOJOHN:D

The original question was..."what is your favorite calibre?"

Many know my answer already but here it is anyway.....!:cool:

...................6.5.....................:D

O'l John......:p

Now here's the hard part....can you pick just one of those 6.5's as a favorite..;)

Pale Rider

I like the 375 H&H. I just seem to be able to hit what I shoot at with this rifle and boy is it effective.......ok, a little big I know, but I sure like shooting it.

Holman

In my opinion, anyone pushing through anti-gun legislation is a bloody traitor and should be sent up for treason.

Holman :cool:

marcgu

there is so much to say about what is the best calibre to use.i hunted small game, deer, moose, bear, caribou in north america so i was obliged to use the best calibre i could for each game animal.
-for small game i like to use 222 remington not magnum.
-for deer i used 270 win and i like it, while my son loves the 300 win. mag.
-for moose in ontario i use 30-06. while in the yukon i used a 338 win. mag. everybody else in camp were using 375 h&h with the 338 loaded with 250 grain partitions and 73 grains of RL 15 i was'nt under gunned.
-for caribou i used 270 win. in quebec labrador and 338 win mag for the yukon.
-for bear that i harvested in ontario, manitoba, saskatchewan, alberta and the yukon, i used anything from 244 remington to 416 remington including the beloved 375 h&h, i was overgunned at times but it was more the experience with this big calibres than the hunt itself as in the last hunts i have being taking more pictures than shooting bears.  
i also hunted in africa where i used 338 for all the game i harvested from springbuck to kudu.
as for sport shooting and practice around the year, i like to reload and shoot non-common calibre such as 9x57mm mauser, 11.15x60mm mauser, 360 nitro express and others.

in conclusion after all the shooting i've done i came lo like the .358 non magnum in a bolt action rifle.

Mauserfan in TX

I voted other. Right now it's a toss  up between the 6.5x55 Swed and the 8mm Mauser. I have just acqiured a .270 Win. I have'nt had a chance to wring it out yet. I really like that 6.5 Swed ....decisions, decisions, decisions. I got my self set to pick up a m-92 Winchester in .25/20 pretty soon. Then my mind may change again.
 I really liked the pics Daryl
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

davidlt89

7mm mag, but I used a 30-06 for 10 years or so and she never let me down.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

Hard question to answer. I'm a big fan of factory ammo availability and/or mil surplus. So that leaves .223, .308, or '06. For my money and the game I shoot it would be .308 . I assume you wanted a cartridge not just a caliber, but either way its got to be .308
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Holman

In my opinion, anyone pushing through anti-gun legislation is a bloody traitor and should be sent up for treason.

Holman :cool:

mtsharps

grayghost

In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

babbyc1000

12 bore solid slugs, they make nice neat holes in things!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

HSM_miner

Smokeless .308 cal & .323 cal
Black powder .50 cal & .54 cal

nrthrn_maine_hunter

All around- Any 300 MAG

Game specific:
Varmint- 22-250
deer sized- 257 WBY or 25-06 for non WBY fans
larger game - 300 WBY, RUM, or WSM
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

muley

I have to lean towards the .280 myself. Too many good animals fell under this caliber for me.

sswjka

Let me start with my set-up and then cartridge selection. I needed one "do-all" gun for whitetail deer hunting. I purchased a Ruger 77 MKII VT (varmint/target) and topped it with a Nikon Monarch UCC in 4-12x40 AO. The first year I had it I harvested a small doe at close range. Last year was the same but a 10 pt this time. This brings me the present. After one complete week in Kentucky's firearms deer season this setup has yielded me 2 deer, my wife 2 deer, my 10 yr old son his first deer (9 pt), and my neighbor (first time hunter) two deer. The closest distance was maybe 70 yards and the furthest distance was 352 yards (aren't rangefinders great). All seven deer traveled maybe a combined 60 yards before falling from single shots. The ammunition was Federel Premium Vital-Shock. All were shot using what ever rest was available from a stand except for my son. Remember he is 10 yrs old and weighs 75 pounds and the gun weighs appr. 11 1/2 pounds ready to hunt. He shot his deer from prone position using my Harris bipod. Now if you're thinking 300 rem ultra mag or something like that, please remember all of the 1st time hunters, children and women who have limited experience and who are recoil sensitve. So maybe something small like 223 or 220 swift? No, nothing crazy like that either. I have found that the perfect cartridge for me in this set up and area is the 25-06. Please let me know what you think.:)

Tags: