Do You Ever Wonder...

Started by Daryl (deceased), November 12, 2004, 06:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

what it's like to hunt southern Arizona? Here are a couple of pictures that show the country and how we hunt it.

We have a different idea about what a "deer stand" is, that's for sure! Lots of glassing involved.

The top picture is John-Henry; the bottom picture is me (I'm the one with the hat instead of a saddle  LOL).

Looks like nice shady country, doesn't it?

;)

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Not even a mesquite tree for as far as the eye can see.  I gotta tell you, I prefer the canyons to the open range there.  It's still pretty country in it's own way.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Nice Pics Az....

I'll bet that desert comes alive with wildlife at times.
Can't wait to try my habd at those coyotes there....(I'm sure they are way different than the New Mexico variety..LOL)
You make a deal on the buckskin yet? Looks like a good horse.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

The buckskin on the left is out in my corral now; or rather my yard. I let them out to feed tonight.

I pulled a bunch of cockle burrs out of his mane and tail this morning so it looks a little ragged, but here he is. I'll have to juggle some funds to do it, but I reckon I'll keep him!

What do you think of him?

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

I like him.....You wanna make a quick $100 ??....LOL

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

I'll keep it in mind!  LOL!

RatherBHunting,

It really IS beautiful country, but it's not for the feint of heart.  It's rugged and rough, especially if a guy hunts on foot.

I, too, prefer the canyons to the open range.  Trouble is, if a deer runs up the side of a canyon during deer season, he dies.  The big boys live in those flats, and the amount of cover can be deceiving.  They can really hide in those occotillo, prickly pear, and mesquite thickets.  It's not easy to hunt them, but they're there.

We saw one bunch of deer from that rocky hill, and there were six nice bucks in the bunch.  Two were muy grande, but I failed to act quick enough.  While we were discussing strategies, a vaquero from a neighboring ranch skylined himself on that hill and the deer spooked.  He was looking for three lost cows, and was doing his job, so I can't blame him.  Still, I wish the timing was better.  I may not have gotten a shot anyway, but...

Oh well, maybe I'll get another chance during the bow season.

Take care,
Az

RIP Linden33

jchunter

Az,

I have hunted Arizona twice. Once in 1996 for Javelina around Paysen, then again in 1997 for Mule Deer on the Mogollon Rim(not to sure on the spelling), Tonto Nation Forrest. My wife was born and raised in Phx and has a plush cabin bordering Nat. Forrest Service land. I have scouted hard for Elk since 1993 and have seen some tremendous bulls, several in the 370-380+ class, but cannot get drawn. If you hang around the Phx Valley, it's hard to imagine that the state has that vast mountainous region with tremendous big game opportunities (if you can draw tags!). I've have applied for the Az. Strip several time to no avail as well.

JC

Tags: