A Southern Shooter?

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 12, 2007, 08:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

For some reason this flintlock shooter looks to be 'southern' to me.  I'm not sure, but the design on his hunting bag looks to be a French Fleur-de-lys.

The flintlock?  Again... I'm not sure.  It could be a Brown Bess, some sort of Utility Musket  or a Tulle Fusil.  It dosen't look like a Northwest Gun.  

The leggings look Eastern but the hat looks more Southern Mountain.

Any guesses?

rockinbbar

Jay, that design on his bag looks remarkably similar to your avatar....:)

My guess would be Northwest....;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

Hmmm... I see what you mean Barry.

You know the term 'Northwest' calls to mind the confusion between then and now.  There was a time when the 'old Northwest' or 'Northwest' refered to an area more in line with the Great Lakes region and south.

Techincally I am living in 'the Far West'.  The area west of Athabasca to the Russian territory wasn't opened up by the HBC until fairly late in the Fur Trade.

The American costumes confuse me somewhat, I admit.  For a long time Hollywood was determining what was correct... and they were sloppy about such things until of late.  Now the equipment and costumes are a joy to see... unless you are subjected to 'the-eighteen-feet-of-fringe-scout-uniform'.

But I was hopin' someone could make a good stab (with reasons) at the firearm pictured.

rockinbbar

You are right about Holloywood, not only the attire for these guys, but the Westerns as well. If john Wayne wore it or used it it must be authentic....:)

As the gathering number of people re-create the different periods of history comes a thirst for and a striving for authenticity. That is a good thing! :D

Perhaps our younger genrations will not think that a real Old West Lawman used to face the bad guys in the street with a quick-draw contest....

I agree about the Brown Bess. It looks like one to me. Wasn't that a French firearm? & Isn't the fluer-de-lys a French origin design? If that is so, then one might add up the hat, rifle, & bag to possibly place the shooter as being from the South....as in the French settled ares such as Louisiana.

Just a stab it it....;)

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

Yup... the fleur-de-lys was a French symbol.  I believe it is still used on their white flag.

The Brown Bess was British or English (however it's supposed to be said) and represented the consumate muzzle loading flintlock of its day.  

The French flintlock was the Fusil Fin Model C or D.  During the Revolutionary War the French musket was the French Charleyville.

I think you are right about future generations striving for more accuracy.  Of course it would only be the folks who have the passion.  Folks who love accuracy more than romance or posturing.

drinksgin (deceased)

I believe the Fleur de Lys was the symbol of the Bourbon family, like the 2 headed eagle of the Hoehenzollern and the Rampant Lion of the Guleph/ Windsor familys
The French flag is a simple 3 vertical bars of, left to right, dark blue, white and red.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jay Edward (deceased)

Flags of France, 1682-1763. LaSalle planted the white flag of the Bourbon kings of France at the mouth of the Mississippi River in 1682, and Iberville made the settlement at Ocean Springs under the same flag in 1699. Three golden fleurs-de-lis appeared on nearly all the Bourbon flags, though sometimes it was entirely white. The blue field of the French flag had officially disappeared by royal decree of Louis XIV in 1659.

Tags: