The deer are gone

Started by huntallday, November 26, 2004, 10:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntallday

Two year ago we had deer staying on our place of 100 acres.  Literally staying.  You could see them at all times of the day and if you went hunting, you saw something.  They are no longer staying on the place since the the guy on the place next to us pushed out all the trees and brush.  There is a little left but it ran the deer off my place.  The grass over there is about 4 to 5 ft tall but still the deer havent came back.  They are finding a way to come through my place and eat out of the feeder every once in a while but I never see them.  I wish I could get them staying on the place like they used to.  Two years ago we took a 6 and 10 point buck.  Its a one buck county here but all we wanted was one.  My uncle took the 10 point.  Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or know how to draw them back to the place?  Please help.

Flatlander

make some brushpiles deer love to lay in them put more than one with food sources in btwenn to give them sev locations to move between no cover means no deer as arule IMO

ShadowRider

Flatlander is right, no cover = no deer. You can have the best food plots ever but if there isn't enough cover to let the deer feel secure, they won't use them except under the cover of darkness. It would take some effort and dedication, but with 100 acres you could provide everything the deer need to attract them and keep them.

huntallday

About 30-50 acres of the land is mainly where the deer were and is where they pass through.  I've seen signs of deer about 40 yds from my house which is pretty far from the creek.  We have several types of fruit trees and lots of berries and acorns.  Only about 3 acres of the land is heavy woods.  They rest is scattered cedars and pecan trees.  There are a lot of cedars and persimmon trees on the creek.  We have two tanks but the deer usually dont come near because of the house.  We have been planting more trees and I'm going to plant more heavy brush in the main field.  Thanks for the information.  Any more tips would help, lol.:rolleyes:

motor (deceased)

Deer love to bed in pine woods..I don't know where you live but i am sure pine trees grow there..i would plant a few acres as they grow fast and in a short time you will have given them some cover..here in Florida the state will give you the seedlings..you might check with your local forestry division to see if they will help you out..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

huntallday

We are in Texas.  We have planted quite a few of those actually I havent check on their progress yet though.

Flatlander

as  a rule trees will take 5-7 years to provide any real cover but of course they are the long term answer the reason I suggested the brushpiles is that this is immeidiate and will help you while trees recover

huntallday

What kind of brush should I plant? Just anykind of cover?

huntallday

Or by brushpiles do you mean piles of old pushed down brush?

Flatlander

Yes old trees stumps blowdown just something for them to use as bedding and traveling between food sources I would also plant some type of hedge plants if I had them handy deer have to feel secure or they just won't hold in an area

huntallday

Ok thanks, Ill see what we've got.

Gmoney

Huntallday, what part of Texas are you in?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

huntallday

We are in the central Texas area, about 2 hours south of DFW.

I think we've got a doe staying around.  I found tracks some smaller tracks down at the feeder earlier this evening after I finished hunting.  While walking back up to the house I saw those same tracks (or what looked to be the same size) in a place I usually dont see them.  There is a peach orchard down toward the field and there were those tracks setting down there by the orchard.  I think they are going into the small patch of cedars there behind it and then jumping the fence up about 50 yds from my house.  Unusual.  But the guys that lived in the house before me did say he used to watch deer cross over there.  Anyway, I'm thinking maybe that doe will attract some bucks.  Hopefully its not a really small buck and just a doe.

Antler3

Taking down a wire in the fence will help to get them to cross it where you want them to cross also. The clearing of the timber will alarm them for awhile but like everyone says if you can provide some kind of cover they will eventually come back. I hunted a small funnel in between pastures for three years and was successful, they had a well worn trail through it. The landowners repaired the fence across one end and also took out several trees along the fence row. I haven't seen anything in that holler for two year now. So changes made in their environment will affect them for awhile. Good luck to you.
ANTLER 3

huntallday

I would cut the wire but we have cattle and they'll get out.  Thanks a lot for the information.

Tags: