Bad day for varmints

Started by recoil junky, May 21, 2007, 09:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

But not for hunting them!!

Spent a good portion of Saturday shooting ground squirrels. The babies are out and those thumb size critters are not only hard to hit but hard to hit when an 1/8 moa dot covers them at 250 yards. Had both 788's hot enough to light a cigarette on. :biggthumpup: Had to stop and clean both rifles about 2 hours into the shoot. It was great. After having 1000+ rounds loaded for both the .222 and.223 there's about 250 -300 left for each one. The 50 cal. ammo cans are getting pretty light. I may have to build somemore before pdogs are leagal.  

After a quick dinner we went over to another place where the rockchucks are digging up a friends flowers and lawn. Took care of 5 of them in about an hour. Took the 300RUM Sendero SFII and the 243 VLS for that work. The 300 does terrible things to rockchuks if you hit the rock right under them :eek:  I only hit one with it after I got dialed in on where to hold. Got 3 with the .243 and it's pretty impressive with 58 grain Vmax's at 3700 fps. It's sighted in dead on ar 100 yards and even at 250 yards, you still hold right on where you want to hit.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

KT29

Sure sounds like you had a fun time.  Have made it out here about 10 times so far shooting PD's.  Getting alittle low on .223's myself.   Looks like some more reloading is in order.  Ya better gear up for those PD's.--KT

Tags: