Yesterday's buck

Started by Mike Orwan, December 03, 2004, 02:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Orwan

Hopefully the picture will be inserted ok.
17-1/2" spread, 2-3/4" and 3-1/2" brow tines, 9-3/4" and 11" G2's, 170 lb live weight.
But best of all, shot at 430 last evening less than 100 yards from our front door! This is the largest deer I have ever shot.
Mike in PA
Romans 8:26

.260deerSlayer

That`s a nice gun Mike, but an even better deer. I haven`t shot one quite that big yet.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Nice buck Mike.  Can you elaborate a little on the rifle?

Antler3

NICE BUCK :)  Congrats to you !  Hope I see one like that walk past my stand !
ANTLER 3

Mike Orwan

I built thie rifle quite a few years back (did 'smithing for a living ten+ years). Action is a Mk X Mauser, barrel a 1-9" Douglas chambered in 6.5 Panther, stock a McMillan, scope a newer Redfield 3x12x44. Load used is a heavy charge of Varget, CCI BR primers and Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tips at 2850 fps. Have taken a lot of deer with this rifle and it stops them in their tracks 90% of the time.

Just made a small correction to this post. 2850 should be the fps on the stated load with 120's. I erred and put the 140 gr fps down.
Mike in PA

BigEddySprings

Nice buck Mike...Looks very similar to the one I got this year..Also my best...Way to go.

Vermonster

Beauty of a buck Mike!!!!!!! :cool:

Where about is Hummelstown?????

Mike Orwan

Hummelstown is south central PA, located between Hershey (ChocolatetownUSA) and Harrisburg (state capitol).
Mike in PA

Vermonster

Cool.  My Dad is from over near Bentleyville, sorta southeast of Pittsburgh.......

I've hunted many a coal flat out there....;)

Tags: