Saw my first deer today

Started by Marlin917VS, December 04, 2004, 07:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlin917VS

I was out in the woods this morning and we were walking along train tracks and were about to sit down but we decided to check over the hill on the other side of the train tracks and we startled two deer.  They ran down the hill and I got a shot off at about 100 yards while one was running. I probably had a bad shot because I found where I hit it and there was a big blood spot and a long strain of fat.  Then we found a spot of blood about 10 feet away but no foot prints and no more blood.  The ground was completely frozen but no snow on it so you couldnt see any new prints.  We looked for it for about 2 hours then gave up.  I saw two running where I thought the deer went but they were about 200 yards away and in the thick brush so I didnt shoot.  We sat for 2 more hours then came home.  I'll be going out later, probably in the same place but I'm not sure.  Some people said there's a big buck around there so I'm hoping and praying for it.  I just still feel bad about the one I wounded.  I think I'de rather find that one and take it out then the big one.  Also someone got a 25 point up where I hunted on the first day and didnt even see anything.  He got a bunch of awards and stuff.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Antler3

yea sure wish you could find that deer ...sounds like you hit it pretty good. I shot one than ran about 150 yards right at dark. Went home and got some help and went back with lights. Was some real thick woods with lots of deadfalls. Not much of a blood trail at first then started finding a little. Finally found him was midnight before we did. But didn't give up. Sometimes the blood will only be a pin size drop. Also on the brush higher up you will find it sometimes. Depending on where you hit it, you may loose the trail for awhile and then pick it up later, if you hit it high it will bleed to the inside and take awhile to leave blood drops. Sometimes they will head for water when wounded. Good luck hope you find it.
ANTLER 3

Tags: